Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso
    Unobtanium-doped wax is my pet peeve, but recent wax-topped bottles haven't been too much trouble to open. Maybe I've been lucky...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    This is an easy one for me. White plastic bags.

When I buy a bottle of bourbon, I want the son of a gun in a brown paper bag. Traditional, nondescript, brown paper bag.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by contrarian
    That big honkin' Booker's crate obscures a nice presentation and is a pound of trash I wish I didn't have to pay Binny's to send to me.
    Yes, forgot about that one. After you get the first one, and get over the novelty of it, how many more do you need? Anyone found a good use for them?

Kevin

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    Anyone found a good use for them?

Kevin
    I would think they would make great kindling if you busted them up. If they just packaged them with a ligher or matches you've got yourself one hell of a fire starter kit.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Guru

Booker's Packaging is for the Birds

Second question first; click here.

I suppose your first question still applies, however.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Seems that using a Booker's box for a birdhouse wouldn't attract blue birds, but rather swallows.....

Kevin

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    Seems that using a Booker's box for a birdhouse wouldn't attract blue birds, but rather swallows.....

Kevin
    Bah dum CHING!
    Nicely played.
    -Sam

Connoisseur
    One thing I've always been curious about is the Van Winkle Lot B packaging. I think it looks very cheap and is a poor representation of the whiskey contained within. I don't get this, especially since all of Julian's other products have such classy packaging.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    This is an easy one for me. White plastic bags.

When I buy a bottle of bourbon, I want the son of a gun in a brown paper bag. Traditional, nondescript, brown paper bag.
    Lots of stuff I can agree with in this thread. I prefer the brown paper bag but I donít mind the white paper too much. Speaking of paper, when I was in Amsterdam the guy at the liquor store perfectly wrapped my bottle of Jim Beam Black in a sheet of printed tissue paper in like 2 seconds. I think I like that better than a paper bag, brown or white. What I really donít like is what this one store does, they have these bags that are about 14Ē left to right and separated into two pockets with a loop handle in the middle of the top. (Sorry, Iím not that good at describing things like this) Anyway, when you carry the bag the two pockets swing and the bottles clang together. Iím glad that store doesnít have any good whiskey on itís shelves that I want.

As for the Bookers box, I like it. I have this habit of never spending coins I get as change after I buy something, accumulating it, rolling it, and then stacking them in a pyramid. After about 25 rolls of quarters get in the pyramid the sides can no longer support themselves and layers start to roll away (Off the shelf and onto the floor, often breaking the paper roll.), thatís when the Bookers box comes into play, itís the perfect width to hold them and it can hold (Iím guessing) about 52 rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    One thing I've always been curious about is the Van Winkle Lot B packaging. I think it looks very cheap and is a poor representation of the whiskey contained within. I don't get this, especially since all of Julian's other products have such classy packaging.
    Itís not fancy but I donít mind it. I have thought about this myself though. My reasoning is that itís the ďSpecialĒ reserve and thus not like all the other Van Winkle varieties so they made this bottle stand out from all of the other VW bourbons you can get at the store.

My gripe is simple though and is pretty much the same as a lot of other peoples, the George T Stagg bottle is too tall, it looks really nice but it does not fit on any of my shelves. However as much as I would like my Staggs to be with my Van Winkles and my Turkeyís I think Iíd be disappointed if they changed that nice, stately bottle.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Disciple
    I don’t like anything with natural cork with make me dislike almost all American straight whiskey packaging in the premium class. I have to live with that. I like watts inside though! (I got the same problem with single malt)

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey