Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    it reminded me of Baker's.

Gary
    I have not had the Booker's. But now I am looking forward to it.
    I have been through a bottle of Baker's. I really liked it.
    Baker's neat reminded me of some of Buf Trce's stuff. On the rocks, it got fat, like Beam on steroids.
    So I will now have to move the Booker's up on the rotation. The two being similar doesn't suprise me, after all Booker and Baker are cousins.

Oscar
    Odd. I thoroughly enjoy Booker's but I don't really care for Baker's. To me, Baker's has a dry, astringent quality that is very offputting (is that a word?), while Booker's has a thicker, sweeter profile.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Odd. I thoroughly enjoy Booker's but I don't really care for Baker's. To me, Baker's has a dry, astringent quality that is very offputting (is that a word?), while Booker's has a thicker, sweeter profile.

Tim
    What Tim said.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    I vote for an international ban on corks. The association of corks with high quality spirits and wines is a false one. It came about because at one time it was the best that was available, but that is no longer true. The only effect that cork can have on the contents of the bottle is a negative one. I want screw caps, plastic or steel, forget those crappy aluminum ones.
    Ed
    Well Ed here were all the reasons why I dislike cork and prefer plastic or steel screw caps.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

An Unintended Consequence, Perhaps?

After the switch will movie tough-guys still remove the closure with their teeth?

Come to think of it, such a scene would fit nicely into a Mel Brooks movie, say something on the order of "Blazing Saddles".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by contrarian
    That big honkin' Booker's crate obscures a nice presentation and is a pound of trash I wish I didn't have to pay Binny's to send to me.

The silver lining is Binny's picks some great barrels of Booker's.
    I always thought that was kind of neat, the way Booker's came in that box. Looks nice on the shelf.

Connoisseur

Tim
    I have to agree in that Booker's and Baker's taste completely different to me. I happen to enjoy both though!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    The screw caps don't leak. They pour better. They don't foul what's inside. They travel better...But they don't beat that sound when you pull the cork out...thumbp! Like Pavlov's dog, I salivate when I hear it. It makes opening the bottle an event. For that reason alone, I vote cork!

JOE

Advanced Taster
    Out here in wine country, some wineries are switching to screw-tops. I'm told this is due to a cork shortage. Others use a plastic stopper with a thin cork veneer.
    I vote for the screw-on caps as well, regardless of the shortage. It makes no difference to the whiskey, and it makes my life just a touch easier.
    -Sam

Guru

Tim
    Some say Baker's and Booker's are different and some say they are not.
    Like I said I do like Baker's, but haven't tried the Booker's yet.
    Well this on-going research may be tough but I am up to it.(LOL)

Hey Tim,... here's a shout out from a 'Bama native.
    I am originally from Cullman, my family is in the LaconMnt./Vinemont/Hartselle area.

Oscar

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdoggydog
    Out here in wine country, some wineries are switching to screw-tops. I'm told this is due to a cork shortage. Others use a plastic stopper with a thin cork veneer.
    I vote for the screw-on caps as well, regardless of the shortage. It makes no difference to the whiskey, and it makes my life just a touch easier.
    While cork is getting harder to find, my understanding is that the change to screw-tops has had to do with cork spoilage--I've read in a few wine snob magazines that the percentage of bottles "corked" is not insignificant. (Chances are most people on this board have had a bad bottle, whether they recognized it or not.) But while a number of quality wineries have started switching over, it will probably be a while before you open a bottle of Mouton in the same way you open your Mountain Dew Code Red. Cork may be inferior, but it adds a festive and ceremonial element. (I assume this is why many bourbons come with wax and the like--to make it seem like a sacred or special occasion.)

Has anyone here experienced a bourbon that was fouled b/c of cork issues? I know that folks can respond very differently to the same bourbon--just read some of the older posts on something like EC 12--but I wonder if a few of these negative experiences have had something to do with bad corks.