Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB
    Has anyone here experienced a bourbon that was fouled b/c of cork issues? I know that folks can respond very differently to the same bourbon--just read some of the older posts on something like EC 12--but I wonder if a few of these negative experiences have had something to do with bad corks.
    There have been some posts on this. Here is one thread on the subject.

As was mentioned in these earlier posts, the bad flavor comes from 2,4,6 trichloroanisol (TCA) that comes from a fungus in the cork.

I posted a photo of a bad EC12 cork six months back or so.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Apprentice
    Switching gears a bit, let me nominate Knob Creek 1.75 (I think I piped up about this in another thread). It's basically a huge, unwieldy glass brick. No handle. Crazy fluid dynamics going on when you pour (most 1.75 bottles have the bulk of their liquid at the bottom, but the KC 1.75 has it, well, wherever it thinks it needs to be at the time). I would not trust the bottle to a person under 120 pounds

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB
    While cork is getting harder to find, my understanding is that the change to screw-tops has had to do with cork spoilage--I've read in a few wine snob magazines that the percentage of bottles "corked" is not insignificant. (Chances are most people on this board have had a bad bottle, whether they recognized it or not.) But while a number of quality wineries have started switching over, it will probably be a while before you open a bottle of Mouton in the same way you open your Mountain Dew Code Red. Cork may be inferior, but it adds a festive and ceremonial element. (I assume this is why many bourbons come with wax and the like--to make it seem like a sacred or special occasion.)

Has anyone here experienced a bourbon that was fouled b/c of cork issues? I know that folks can respond very differently to the same bourbon--just read some of the older posts on something like EC 12--but I wonder if a few of these negative experiences have had something to do with bad corks.
    Some people just don't like EC 12.

That said, I have had corked whisky. The first bottle of Highland Park 12 that I bought was horrible. Definitely corked. I took it back and they replaced it. The second bottle was worlds better. Not as good as bourbon, mind you...

Sadly, the first Blanton's Straight From the Barrel I have had seemed to be corked. It wasn't as bad as the Highland Park, but clearly noticeable. It spoiled an excellent bourbon. I could taste the goodness behind the cork, but the cork kept intruding. I suppose it could have been a musty barrel, but I don't believe a musty barrel could have made it into a Blanton's bottle.

There have been other times that I thought a bottle had been adversely effected by cork without actually being "corked." Never noticed anything of the sort with a screw cap.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by tachyonshuggy
    Switching gears a bit, let me nominate Knob Creek 1.75 (I think I piped up about this in another thread). It's basically a huge, unwieldy glass brick. No handle. Crazy fluid dynamics going on when you pour (most 1.75 bottles have the bulk of their liquid at the bottom, but the KC 1.75 has it, well, wherever it thinks it needs to be at the time). I would not trust the bottle to a person under 120 pounds
    Ah, the 1.75 liter bottles. Those are irritating due to their absence in this market. At least the absence of any big bottles containing something I would like to have at home...
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Taster

synthethic vs natural corks

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    The only effect that cork can have on the contents of the bottle is a negative one.
    Ed
    After reading about much distaste for corks in this thread, I wonder if the use of synthetic corks would make a difference ? Would they be an improvement? Are bottlers using synthetic corks? The wine industry is using them quite frequently these days, presumably due to the shortage of natural cork.

Connoisseur
    Old Potrero uses synthetic corks but I don't know of any others. That being said I prefer the 'cork' to the twist off. Something about the sound...
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru
    The new Pritchard's Double Barreled Bourbon uses a large ( and IMHO ugly) plastic "cork".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriff
    After reading about much distaste for corks in this thread, I wonder if the use of synthetic corks would make a difference ? Would they be an improvement? Are bottlers using synthetic corks? The wine industry is using them quite frequently these days, presumably due to the shortage of natural cork.
    Nikka, a Japanese company, uses plastic covered corks in some of their bottlings. Not quite the same, but not a bad compromise. They do pop fairly well, but they don't squeak first. They are a little harder to pull out. Oh, I had forgotten one, it had a very thin bit of plastic film on the bottom of the cork that kept the whisky from making actual contact with the cork. The sides of the cork were bare to the glass so there was a more natural feel, squeak and pop.

I still prefer screw caps.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    I tried my first sip of Rock Hill Farms tonight. After taking a knife (three times) to the plastic holding the stopper down, I became very alarmed when I started to pull, I could tell something was a miss.

The thin ring of cork around the stopper was looking pretty nasty. The plastic on the stopper was shifting and my first thought was...what an incredibly stupid design for the inner part of the stopper.

Fortunately, the bourbon is not tainted...wonderful stuff. All is well in Nebraskaland.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Guru
    Mark,

It could have been worse.

IIRC, my current bottle had a vertical, perforated strip in the clear plastic seal. It was easy to remove.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,