Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Grandad 114

Connoisseur

Old Grandad 114

I saw a bottle of Old Grandad 114 in a liquor store the other day. I've never had it. What do you guys think about it? Worth buying? Any tasting notes?

Thanks for any help.

TK

Connoisseur
    You'll find that most people here are very fond of it. I had purchased a bottle when it was BOTM a few months back and hate it. I tried it on serveral occasions and I just don't get it. I don't know if I have a bum bottle or not but I'd never buy it again.

That being said my buddy also has a bottle and I'm looking forward to trying it to see if I get the same results.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Apprentice
    In my opinion OGD114 is very good, especially for the price. It's probably the lowest proof-to-burn ratio of any whiskey I've ever had save for Stagg.

Or is that highest proof-to-burn? Math were never my strong suits.

Enthusiast
    Well, this is about my favorite, certainly has no challenger until you get into the $40's. A search of past posts will reveal that it's in a lot of people's top ten. I think it has the best price/quality ratio around, may have the best price/proof ratio, and despite the proof, has never given me any particular burn that I can get with Booker's or Stagg. In fact I would rate it "smoother" than several in the 100 proof range. Which is what I think Tachyonshuggy was getting at.

As OGD has about the highest rye mashbill of any bourbon, and as the 114 is particularly well regarded, I'd say it's a must for any exploration. The BIB is good as well, but I get a definite quality increase on the 114 that is easily worth it. It may not work for you, but that's the way it goes. There are several well regarded bourbons that don't work for me, but you just gotta find out.

Bob

Advanced Taster
    From your previous posts, TimmyBoston, it's obvious that you like good bourbon, and that high-proof is fine with you. That makes this a no-brainer. One of my Top 5 bourbons for sure. Go get it.
    -Sam

Connoisseur
    OGD 114 has become my go to Bourbon day to day. I think it's a great price and a great flavor. If you have not tried it, do. I have said in several different post's I have yet to try a Bourbon I would not drink again, and still being relatively new, I am amazed at the variety of flavors I have found. There are still many I have not tried, but I hope to have lots of time left to get to them!
    Todd

I cannot explain just how surprised and impressed I was with the OGD 114, I've only had it over a weekend while visiting friends, but will be buying another bottle as soon as I settle into a new apartment. Like mentioned above I also found it to be better than many more expensive and lower proof bourbons, can anyone say Basil Haydens ....
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Taster
    I always have OGD 114 on hand, and enjoy a pour at least two or three times week.

If you like rye like I do, you'll love this one!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    To me, OGD 114 is, like Old Forester BIB and some others, an old-line product that deserves to be considered in the ranks of the super premiums but isn't because it's an "Old."

It isn't to everybody's taste. I like it, I think it's a very good value, and also a good example of a style of bourbon you don't find that much anymore. Kudos to Jim Beam for continued to make it and continuing to make it authentically, even though it is not a huge seller.

Virtuoso
    OGD 114 is one of my favorites, too - I notice a bit of burn, but it's a cinnamon burn, not a paint-thinner burn. For me at least, it's an outstanding value.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!