Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    602

    Maker's Mark Slam Dunk

    I was doing some research on the internet and came across the "Maker's Mark Slam Dunk". I know what it is and that it is rare, but why is the Slam Dunk worth so much more money is the whisky any different?

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    284
    Whisky's the same. Worth more(?) due to its rarity.

    Kevin

  3. #3
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,811
    Maker's Mark does all kinds of promotional bottles; NFL, NCAA teams, baseball, etc. It is great marketing. It is all the same whiskey as normal bottling, but people buy it and put in the shelf as a collector's item. The they go out and buy a normal bottle to drink. Voila, doubling their sales!

    IMHO, as a bourbon drinker, these bottles are worth no more than any other bottle of Makers. If you collect the 'bottle' , then YOU may place more value on certain promotional bottles that were more limited in release.

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    I was doing some research on the internet and came across the "Maker's Mark Slam Dunk". I know what it is and that it is rare, but why is the Slam Dunk worth so much more money is the whisky any different?
    why don't they just fully submerge a bottle so we can get on with our lives??????
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,566
    Bill Samuels was bemoaning to me the fact that the distillery is operating at capacity and they could sell more if they had more to sell. I suggested that he buy some bulk rot gut to put in the commemorative bottles since no one opens them. He didn't think that was funny.

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    651
    lol...I just fell off of my chair..lol
    Mark/Nebraska


    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    Bill Samuels was bemoaning to me the fact that the distillery is operating at capacity and they could sell more if they had more to sell. I suggested that he buy some bulk rot gut to put in the commemorative bottles since no one opens them. He didn't think that was funny.
    That is very, very funny. I rarely have true, laugh out loud moments when I surf, but this was one of them.

    Maker's Mark sells their product very, very well. Their whole ambassador program is very cool, and results in real sales.

    Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

    http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    602
    What you've been saying about the bottles value, I can't believe people pay so much more for them.

    I'd rather have good whiskey than a cute little bottle. I'd to know where these "collectors" store their "rare" bottles for save keeping.

    TK

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    What you've been saying about the bottles value, I can't believe people pay so much more for them.

    I'd rather have good whiskey than a cute little bottle. I'd to know where these "collectors" store their "rare" bottles for save keeping.

    TK

    Well, I keep my 1998 NCAA Championship bottle in the curio cabinet.....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Why don't you like Maker's Mark?
    By jeff in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-15-2002, 23:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top