Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Taster

McKendric Western Style Whiskey

Anyone ever try McKendric? It's quite a bit different from other American whiskeys because it's filtered with mesquite chips. Gives it a sweet, woody quality that's quite a shock at first, but grows on you after a while. The bottle's interesting too...it comes with a leather band about three inches wide around it. I can usually find it for $20 across the state line in SC.

www.mckendricwhiskey.com

Connoisseur
    I'm surprised at the price. In the Columbia, SC area it's usually 40 or more.
    Craig

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by cas
    I'm surprised at the price. In the Columbia, SC area it's usually 40 or more.
    Craig
    Southern Spirits in Fort Mill has it for $20. They've got the best range of fine bourbons anywhere near the Charlotte area (including Van Winkles, all the BT, stuff, etc...).

Guru
    Here's what one esteemed StraightBourbonian had to say about it -- not that he and I always agree as to what is an enjoyable drink.

A few more comments, some pro, mostly con: one, two, three, four, five and six. Once more the power of the search function is evident.

BTW, one post mentioned two different bottlings from McKendric. I have tasted neither.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 06-03-2006 at 12:31.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    There are 2 different versions of Mckendrick. The version with the leather label is the 10yr. and the versions with the regular label is a 6yr. I have had the 10yr. and it is quite good!

Thomas

Connoisseur
    Well, Ive always had a soft spot for the fine art of slagging off.

Number three in Daves list of archive material by Theron Volkman is spot-on.
    He concludes that Thedford indeed is unforgettable, in so far as that it takes an eternity to get rid of that foul taste in your mouth.

Honestly, this was years ago and the brand could very well have improved immensely since then.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast
    I tried the stuff and thought it was amazing... no need to let it grow on me!

Amazing enough that if this were the 1st American whiskey I had ever tried, I would likey be put off for life. Thank goodness I came across it later in my whiskey sampling journey of life!

I honestly would rather walk into a biker bar, dressed head to toe in lycra, turn off the jukebox and order a Campari and soda in a loud effeminate voice than give this whiskey another chance. It really was a shocking taste to me (kinda similar to the herby flavour of Campari that I tried at a wedding for a laugh and NOT a biker bar!) and one I am not in a hurry to repeat.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    IAmazing enough that if this were the 1st American whiskey I had ever tried, I would likey be put off for life. Thank goodness I came across it later in my whiskey sampling journey of life!

I honestly would rather walk into a biker bar, dressed head to toe in lycra, turn off the jukebox and order a Campari and soda in a loud effeminate voice than give this whiskey another chance. It really was a shocking taste to me (kinda similar to the herby flavour of Campari that I tried at a wedding for a laugh and NOT a biker bar!) and one I am not in a hurry to repeat.
    Lovely!

Sheer poetry to these King Lears!

Howzabout an encore?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

I tried this whiskey and I thought it was the worst I have ever had. I will never drink this swill again.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whisky is barely enough. - Mark Twain