Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon Idol Finalists

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maker's Mark

22 29.33%
  • Booker's

22 29.33%
  • Pappy Van Winkle 15yo

28 37.33%
  • Elijah Craig 18yo

11 14.67%
  • Woodford Reserve

10 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Idol

Administrator in exile

Bourbon Idol

Well, I'm leaving town for a few days and won't be able to post June's BOTM on time, so I thought, while I'm gone why not jump on the American Idol bandwagon and let the voter's decide! So, I have chosen your five finalists for June BOTM and you have until June 6th to get your votes in. Although the software won't allow for unlimited voting, in true AI style I'm allowing you to vote for as many as you like, with the understanding that, if you vote for all 5, you'll have negated your vote.

Now Bourbonia, who will be your next Bourbon Idol?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Now Bourbonia, who will be your next Bourbon Idol?
    I have voted for MM and WR, not because I think that they are the best bourbons on the list, but rather because they are both nearly universally available, and because either should produce a really good discussion.

Maker's is no doubt a very well made bourbon, but it is often disparaged here as being bland. Others like it. It would be nice to see how it fares when people, many of whom haven't had it in a long time, taste it critically.

Woodford Reserve seems to generate a range of opinions, but in general, I think it is regarded more highly here than MM. Again, it would be nice to see how if does under some dritical examination.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Virtuoso

The Bourbonia Hall of Fame?

Along the lines of Ann Arbor Jeff's (AA Jeff? shouldn't that be updated to BT Jeff?) proposals for MM and WR, I think the Elijah Craig 18 is a great choice for discussion, as it should have a balanced and wide-ranging discussion.

On the other hand, a month-long Pappy lovefest? Why not just create an SB.com Bourbonia Hall of Fame, put the Pappy 15 into and cut out the middle man? I say Pappy's fer drinkin' not talkin'

Roger

PS - I started my father-in-law out with a bottle of Pappy 15. Somehow, other bourbons just don't measure up so easily.

Connoisseur
    My buddy was showing off his GTS and gave it to a friend to try. Now everything he samples is "It's good, but no George T. Stagg".
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner
    Maker's is no doubt a very well made bourbon, but it is often disparaged here as being bland. Others like it. It would be nice to see how it fares when people, many of whom haven't had it in a long time, taste it critically.Jeff
    Exactly my thought.

I have actually longed for an opportunity to enter the ring and exchange a few jabs with the MM detractors.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Guru
    I voted for Maker's Mark because Lennart told me to.

Seriously, all of the reasons others have given are valid. I especially favor a selection that is widely available, even in areas as poorly supplied as Sweden and central Arizona, USA. Perhaps a good policy would be to alternate between widely available bottlings and those that are less so.

That reminds me, I had forgotten about my bottle of 1783 (is that right?), which I set aside after my mishap while opening it. No Wild Turkey for me tonight.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Well I am not sure which I should vote for. The one on the list that I have never had, the one on the list that I have had but never had my own bottle of, the one that I know I'll love and would like to have another bottle of, the one I used to love but decided I wouldn't buy again because of recent discoveries in the same category or the other one that I am pretty indifferent to. Can you guess which of those is which? Probably not with those clues...

I think I'll sleep on it and vote tomorrow.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Pappy 15

Pappy 15, the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!

A fantastic bourbon and it deserved BotM by Far!!!!!!!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    I voted for Maker's Mark because Lennart told me to.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Bah! My extraterrestial telepathic powers which I have used extensively to wield power over the forum, now shamefully exposed!

On a more serious note, I wouldnīt mind discussing more "every day stuff". Itīs probably something like four years ago since I tried Beam white, for instance. I reckon a subject like that would result in more versatility of opinions. Not to mention, giving me an excuse to pick up my first bottle in ages.

In the future, with the thread name perhaps altered to "American whisk(e)y of the month, discussions about Dickel No. 12 and even 7 Crown could take place. Much more interesting to me than surefire winners like Stagg or Pappy.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    They may not be most popular, but I've voted for bottles available in the Australian market - Makers Mark, Bookers and Woodford Reserve.
    This way I have an excuse to head down to the local bottle shop and pick up the latest BOTM....