Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    light (helles) Munchener must have come in later.
    Yes, until the science of the manipulation of minerals in water was understood in the early 20th century, beer styles were determined by the water of an area. Munich water, and that of much of Bavaria, has water that is high in alkalinity (like Kentucky water), which needed the acidity of dark malts to mash properly.

Kentucky bourbon is, of course, all pale malt (plus corn and rye or wheat). To balance the alkalinity of its limestone water and produce the proper mash pH, sour mash is used.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    On hops, that compendium is a good resource, thanks. In my view, what Wahl and Henius were talking about is a taste of hops grown in U.S. soils on the West Coast, or rather, a misuse of certain of those hops. In 30 years of tasting beers from around the world including many U.S. microbrewed beers and homebrews, I've noticed a characteristic taste of U.S. hops when used in quantity. It is I believe in the soils and climate. I am talking across the subtleties of specific varieties. I believe that is what Wahl and Henius were noticing and indeed a rank (hop) taste can afflict beer when used in large quantities or otherwise improperly. In my view, this taste (also called by old-time brewers "catty") is one associated with some West Coast hop varieties. While aroma hops grown in say the 1950's were not the same varieties as grown today I believe they must have had an overall similar charcater to the Cascade and other C hops (also, Galena). I recognize new varieties are introduced every so often (they are crosses of what came before usually, I think). While differing to a degree they will share many commonalities which derive from soils and climate. That is why, say, U.S. Fuggles are different from English Fuggles. To me it's like California Merlot vs. Cabernet vs. Zinfandel - they may be different varieties but they all share a commonality too. I think the 1902 writers were saying, use the right hops (not those that have an obvious rank vegetal taste), and use them in the right way.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-07-2006 at 04:51.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Although it's becoming a lost art, distillers used to "make" yeast by preparing a medium and hoping for the best. Each distiller had his own recipe for the medium, but hops were a common ingredient.