Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 6/06: PVW 15yo

June's BOTM was decided by 75 of our members voting in a poll that included 5 flagship bourbons from Kentucky's finest distilleries. The winner brings to the BOTM the legacy of 3 generations of bourbon distillers. Though the name and packaging may have changed, no one disputes the quality of the contents. The pedigree is apparent in this most recent addition to the family. By popular demand, this month's BOTM is:

Pappy Van Winkle 15yo

Discussion of the previous incarnation of this bourbon, ORVW 15yo, is not only allowed, but encouraged for comparative exposition.

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster
    I may not be as articulate as some here in the matter of tasting notes but I'll start. I never really had the opportunity to purchase ORVW 15, or I passed it by without conscience thought. Which is too bad because I really like this one. My state store doesn't carry this particular expression so I was pleased when I found it on my travels. When I got back home and tasted it though, I was bowled over. Ithink this may be as close to perfection as I have ever tasted. Because I can't get it all the time, I tend to savor every pour with extra attention. If you were keeping an eye on me at the Tasting, you would have noticed that I made my way back to the Van Winkle table a couple of times for this at the expense of overlooking some of the others.
    Hopefully someone will point something out in this discussion that will make that light bulb go off over my head and I'll remark "Yeah, that's exactly it!" Til then I'll sit here in anticpation of getting off work this evening and having a drink of what has become my favorite bourbon, yet.
    More whiskey. Less complaining. - Overheard at SXSW music festival.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hookfinger
    I never really had the opportunity to purchase ORVW 15, or I passed it by without conscience thought. Which is too bad because I really like this one. My state store doesn't carry this particular expression so I was pleased when I found it on my travels.
    You missed the boat Hook. Pennsylvania not only had it but sold it for 28 bucks. That was about a year ago. I bought all I could afford. Not to worry though, I saw some fairly recently in Maryland, so it's still around.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Availability

As PVW 15yr has replaced ORVW 15yr, is the former a limited release in any way? It's somewhat available here in FL, but not easy to get (true of many upper end brands). I was wondering if there's any point to stockpiling the PVW 15, or if it is/will be generally available.

Thanks.

Kevin

Guru
    Kevin,

In my experience all of the Van Winkle products are, in a sense, limited, and that's not just some marketing strategy. It's a fact of life. Not much is produced. Distribution is uneven. Its fans tend to snap it up wherever and whenever they find it.

If PVW 15 is your favorite, and if your tastes tend to remain reasonably constant, then by all means buy all you can afford and store. From what I've read here it's my belief that this is so-called "old-stock" bourbon; the distillery that produced it is no longer in operation. Whatever Julian comes up with to replace it down the line will be good, but it won't be the same.

How I wish I had stocked up on ORVW 10/107 (or the identical Old Commonwealth, which was a couple of bucks cheaper) back when it was Stitzel-Weller bourbon. However, by the time I learned enough to know such things, the SW stock was no more -- replaced in that bottling by product from Bernheim (or so I have read).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 06-06-2006 at 12:16.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Thanks, Dave.

Being a relative newbie, I'm still trying to decipher the whole S/W, Bernheim, Buffalo Trace provenance thing. So was ORVW 15 a S/W product, and the PVW 15 is Bernheim? Or am I (most likely) still confused? Sorry if this is in the FAQ/archives.

Kevin

Guru
    {Hey, Chuck . . . HELP!}

A while back Chuck Cowdery covered much of the relevant information all in one place in his newletter, The Bourbon Country Reader.

Unfortunately, I don't have my copy readily at hand.

However, my recollection, perhaps from some other source, is that the provenance (I must look up that word) of PVW 15 is unspecified. IRRC, Julian has declined to state its source here.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    As PVW 15yr has replaced ORVW 15yr, is the former a limited release in any way? It's somewhat available here in FL, but not easy to get (true of many upper end brands). I was wondering if there's any point to stockpiling the PVW 15, or if it is/will be generally available.

Thanks.

Kevin
    Stitzel Weller closed the doors in 1992. If you do the math, the 15 yr old is almost gone. Julian told me last year there might be 500 cases each of the last couple years. I'm sure he & Preston will continue to have great whiskey long after the S/W is gone. I can tell you I've stock up on anything Stitzel Weller!!!
    Randy

Enthusiast
    So were both ORVW 15 and PVW 15 from Stitzel Weller, or just ORVW 15? If the latter, where is/was PVW 15 produced?

Sorry if I'm being dense here, just trying to learn.

Kevin

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    I'm having a little PVW 15 this evening in respect of its choice as BOTM. I like it....as I liked the ORVW 15. This one seems a little drier on the finish....perhaps not as sweet a finish as I recall the ORVW 15. My guess is that it is ageing a little differently now that its in BT's rickhouses and not Julian's old location. It has the richness....but a little more wood to me.

Randy