Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    Wow! $28.00,
    Last summer I got a bottle of ORVW 15yo. and paid $62.00. Michigan is at the tops as far as alcohol tax goes.
    Oscar
    Great. I'm moving to Michigan in a couple of weeks...
    Craig

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV
    Written in at the top of the bottom label is "No N 131" anyone know what that means?

Oscar
    The Van Winkles numbered their bottles, but it is a meaningless numbering system. I guess it just makes it look more authentic Oscar.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    I didn't vote for this because it doesn't appear on the shelves around here. But the BOTM is the BOTM. I may have to actually order from one of the excellent websites here in Japan instead of just lurking them.
    Ed
    Well, I have checked the aforementioned websites and they don't seem to have the PVW 15 or the ORVW 15. I found the Van Winkle Family Reserve 15. Is that close enough or is it a different animal?
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    Well, I have checked the aforementioned websites and they don't seem to have the PVW 15 or the ORVW 15. I found the Van Winkle Family Reserve 15. Is that close enough or is it a different animal?
    Ed
    Ed, the full name (just grabbed my bottle) is "Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 years old"

so i think "Van Winkle Family Reserve 15" is the same thing as PVW 15. Unless this is some sort of export only bottling, but i've never heard of an export only Pappy 15.

Greg.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    Ed, the full name (just grabbed my bottle) is "Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 years old"

so i think "Van Winkle Family Reserve 15" is the same thing as PVW 15. Unless this is some sort of export only bottling, but i've never heard of an export only Pappy 15.

Greg.
    Hmm. Near as I can see in the pic on the website it is Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 years old. No Pappy. I will probably buy it, after all, it has to be good!
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru
    Ed,

Perhaps this website , which pictures Van Winkle bottlings presently being produced for stateside distribution, will give you a clue, if not a definitive answer.

Of course there's always the possibility that additional bottlings are shipped to Japan. From past exchanges here I know that even Julian doesn't always remember every single bottling he has released.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Beacuse of BourbonJoe's posting over on the tasting board, I broke out the ORVW 10/107 and 15/107 last night. As usual, I got vanilla, some maple syrup, and a great "richness" from each, but in truth, I can't separate them.
    Bob

Connoisseur
    Are you saying you cannot differenciate between ORVW 10 & 15 or ORVW 15 & PVW 15?

I can see where comparing the two 15 YOs might be difficult (and that'd be a good thing) but the 10 and 15 seem to be very different to me for whatever that's worth.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast
    No, I really can't. Not with any reliability. FWIW, my 10 is SW as well. I've not had the PVW 15 at the same time as the ORVW 15, but as I understand it, there is no difference in the two 15's but the proof.
    Bob

Guru
    Kevin,

My memory was a little off when I referred to a certain post by Julian. Here's what he really said in that post.

I'm still looking for the relevant copy of The Bourbon Country Reader. I wish I had the foresight and gumption to keep them in a binder for occasions such as this.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 06-08-2006 at 12:01.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,