Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cas
    Great. I'm moving to Michigan in a couple of weeks...
    Craig
    Craig,
    sorry to hear about the move to Michigan, you will hate the weather, winter is ofcourse winter('nuff said), we have no spring, summer is humid, but in October there is always a nice week 2 thirds thru the month.
    It's like 12 months of cabin fever.
    Because of the bad weather people play cards and drink schapps, fruit flavored vodka or cheap light beer.

Oscar
    Last edited by OscarV; 06-08-2006 at 13:09.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    "Eat, drink and be happy for tomorrow we may die"

Not sure if that is the actual quote but it sums it up for this "just open the bottle" nut.
    I'll get to it Dane,
    I got a lot of gems on my shelf, I save the best for last or when there is a special occasion I'll move something up in the rotation.

Oscar

Advanced Taster

Thumbs up

After reading all the posts about price, availability, and comparisons to the discontinued ORVW 15, I figured, what the the heck, I'll have a glass! PVW 15 is probably one of my favorites, with their 20 year old the only one I can readily think of that bests it. While I do like the ORVW 107, I think the added 5 years of the Pappy rounds it out; more flavor, smoother, even at the same proof. This is NOT one I will add water or ice; just neat in a Riedel Bourbon glass. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by BobA
    No, I really can't. Not with any reliability. FWIW, my 10 is SW as well. I've not had the PVW 15 at the same time as the ORVW 15, but as I understand it, there is no difference in the two 15's but the proof.
    Bob
    Actually ORVW and PVW 15 have the same proof of 107.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast
    Well, I guess my memory is going too. Different bottles, at least?
    Bob

Connoisseur
    Yes, the ORVW has the 'classic' stout look and the PVW is the new elegant look with the picture of Pappy on it.
    Tim

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    As Chuck has mentioned, any bourbon with 'old' in the name is considered out of date; perhaps this is why the change from ORVW to PVW?

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Ed,

Perhaps this website , which pictures Van Winkle bottlings presently being produced for stateside distribution, will give you a clue, if not a definitive answer.

Of course there's always the possibility that additional bottlings are shipped to Japan. From past exchanges here I know that even Julian doesn't always remember every single bottling he has released.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Hi Dave,
    The picture on the web site that I am looking at most resembles the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye label on the the website you posted a link to.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    Well, I tried both (ORVW 15 and PVW 15) last night side by side. Both were delicious and very, very close in all aspects. I think if you did not try them side by side and you were a ORVW fan you would not be disappointed by PVW.

I would not spend too many hours hunting down ORVW if you have easy access to the PVW.
    Tim

Road Trip!

While visiting Cincinnati I was able to score a bottle of PVW 15 at a certain store just across the river. I still have a bottle and a quarter of ORVW 15 here at home. I agree with the poster that said the Pappy seems a bit drier. Very, very good, but maybe slightly different. Heck, it could be that the ORVW has been sitting in a lot of air for the past year or two.