Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hirsch 16 year gold foil

I stopped in a local liquor store a a few towns over from where I work today, and came across a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 year, for $70. Also picked up a bottle ORVW 15 yr.

Opened the Hirsch last night, and have to say.... it was nice, but it wasn't $70 nice. Kind of mellow, nothing really jumping out at me. I was surprised because I heard great things about this one. So I was a little disappointed... but glad I tried it since whatever stock is left, is all there is. Not something I'd buy again, though. Am I missing something on this?

Looking forward to trying the Van Winkle 15. I love the Pappy 20 year.

Pete

Enthusiast
    Hi Pete,

You're not alone, you can find many posts on the list from people who are disappointed in the Hirsch gold foil. I'm not one of them, I really enjoy the depth of flavors. One person's mellow is another's smooth as silk, I guess. I think it's a great bourbon.

Kevin

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I'm very fond of the Hirsch 16 year-old. Part of the question is, what makes any bourbon worth $70? To me, I taste characteristics in the Hirsch that I just can't find in any contemporary bourbon. That's what makes it worth it for me.

Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I'm very fond of the Hirsch 16 year-old. Part of the question is, what makes any bourbon worth $70? To me, I taste characteristics in the Hirsch that I just can't find in any contemporary bourbon. That's what makes it worth it for me.
    Hey Chuck, can you describe what you are tasting in the Hirsch? Next pour, it'll give me something to look for. My bourbon palate is immature... I'm a newbie.

By the way-- I'm in the middle of your book, and really enjoying it. I just finished the Beam chapter last night, and it made my head spin... I think I need a diagram to follow that family tree of 10 son distiller families!

Pete

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Opened the Hirsch last night, and have to say.... it was nice, but it wasn't $70 nice. Kind of mellow, nothing really jumping out at me. I was surprised because I heard great things about this one. So I was a little disappointed... but glad I tried it since whatever stock is left, is all there is. Not something I'd buy again, though. Am I missing something on this?
    Pete
    Pete, I also was finding that the gold foils seemed uneventful. It did seem as I got more into the bottle, that it really changed.

I always open a bottle of gold foil then think "hmmm this isn't as great as I remember" then once I get further into it, it really breaks open. This bourbon is much more "elegant" than most, in the sense that there are not one or two flavors that punch you out. It is very rich and balanced.

You might try leaving a pour out for 30 minutes or more and see if it helps. I could be crazy on this, but it's really what has been my experience.

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Connoisseur
    I agree that the further down in the bottle I go the more I enjoy it. I don't know if that is because I'm beginning to understand or appreciate the contents or if something scientific is happening to the bourbon.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru
    This afternoon I had a pour of Hirsch Gold Foil 16. I got cherries on the finish today. I really enjoyed this pour.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple
    It has been a lot of talking of different Hirsch versions. My basic point on this is that its 1974 Michters stock from the same steel containers in all of them. But never the less, here is one version more. Itís not even a Hirsch; it is Boones Knoll but with the same 74 Michters inside. As you can see the shape of the bottle is very lock alike beside the only Hirsch I have drunk. When it comes to the bourbon inside as I remember it really shoed of the high rye content. At the time (some years ago) I thought it tasted almost like something right in between bourbon and rye and I thought it was a bit on the woody side as well, witch have had the impact on me that I havenít been so angus about tasting the 20 years old.

Leif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru
    Leif,

That's a lovely setting in the photo of the Boone's Knoll bottle.

Do you realize that the Hirsch 16 y/o available here (at least during the last five years) is in a very differently shaped bottle? That's also true of the 20 y/o.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 06-08-2006 at 13:28.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Leif,

That's a lovely setting in the photo of the Boone's Knoll bottle.

Do you realize that the Hirsch 16 y/o available here (at least during the last five years) is in a very differently shaped bottle? That's also true of the 20 y/o.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Dave,

The Hirsch on the photo have not been sold here in Europe ether in some years. The one that are sold today is the same bottle as on your photo.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey