Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Cork!

Taster

Broken Cork!

I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed back in early January 2006 and opened it the same day to try it out - as this was my first experience with this bourbon.

This afternoon I decided to taste it again for the second time - and the cork broke off near the top of the wooden handle - leaving the remainder of the cork stuck in the bottle. I was able to pry it out with my trusty Swiss Army knife's AWL tool - with no cork in the bottle.

For now I have take some plastic wrap and a rubber band to fix the problem - ugly but functional.

This is the first time I have had this problem - has anyone else experienced this too?

I sent an email to WT customer service asking for another cork - what do you think the odds are that they will send me one?

Connoisseur
    I had the same issue with an old bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. I sent Heaven Hill a not and they sent me about 5 replacement corks in the mail the same week.

If I know the bourbon industry and how it treats it's customers you will receive your corks by next week.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso
    I've made a habit of saving corks for this very reason - I had the plastic knob break off on one of my bottles a while back, but I had a replacement already on hand.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    I've made a habit of saving corks for this very reason - I had the plastic knob break off on one of my bottles a while back, but I had a replacement already on hand.
    Excellent idea - I'll start to do the same.

Taster
    Spare bourbon corks also come in handy on that bottle of wine you didn't finish the nite before . . . much easier to put in and out rather than use the cork-screwed wine cork.

Administrator in exile
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonBalls
    Spare bourbon corks also come in handy on that bottle of wine you didn't finish the nite before . . . much easier to put in and out rather than use the cork-screwed wine cork.
    I don't understand...not finishing a bottle of wine?...I'm confused

Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Novice
    Just last week the same thing happened to me with my EWSB '87. And since I don't drink wine (but plenty of craft beer), I don't have corks lying around. The piece of cork that stayed in the bottle was too loose to corkscrew out, so I just poked it through. And the little that remained on the top isn't enough for a good fit either. I took this as a sign that I should just drink up (tough task, I know), but since it seems this one isn't the easiest to replace maybe I'll shoot Heaven Hill a note myself to get a correct stopper and savor this one a little longer.

Guru

A Possible Explanation?

Jeff,

He must be talking about the third or fourth bottle.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Quote Originally Posted by pbrian
    Just last week the same thing happened to me with my EWSB '87...
    Shhhh!!! Don't anybody let Bobby read this!
    Tim

Taster
    Good news - I just received this email from WT today:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. A replacement cork for the bottle of Rare Breed was sent out today, 4/14/06. We always enjoy hearing from loyal customers.

We appreciate your continued patronage of Wild Turkey Bourbon and hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Best regards,
    Earline Oberholtzer
    Wild Turkey Bourbon
    Consumer Relations