Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Found cache of EWSB 1988 - how many to get?

I am on vacation and just found a cache of EWSB 1988 - not sure how many, but possibly 8ish? I'm not a big fan of EWSB, so would get at most one bottle for myself. But how many should I pick up for trade, etc.?

Please reply ASAP, as I'll only be able to check back to this message tomorrow morning before I leave the hotel to see if anyone has any advice or trade offers. I'm thinking about picking up maybe 2-3 bottles, but if there's a lot of interest might pick up more. The bottles are fairly expensive - I think $35.99 or thereabouts.

Also, just found 3 bottles of ORVW 15/107 & picked up all 3.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    If possible I would get them all, if not for yourself then they will be great cannon fodder for trades. I'm not interested in one, find the EWSB 1987 and we will talk.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur

Smile Ewsb 88

Just my 2 cents worth: I would bring back as many as your cash outlay can stand while on your vacation.....pushing it to the limit. My experience has found that there are a few veterans always looking for the late 80s bottles and enough newer bourbonites who are trying to put a collection together to exaust whatever supply you bring home. As I said.....just IMHO

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I second that, though I have about given up on completing my vertical(and Bobby would have dibs if I came across the 87, anyway) there are more than enough bunkers here that could absorb some 88.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    And to give you an idea of what you have found I believe at the last Sampler or was it during Bourbon Fest, we arranged to get as many EWSB as possible. I think that the 1988 was sourced from a contact at Heaven Hill. Of course we never got around to the actual tasting.

Many of those bottles were still sealed at the end of the night, the ultimate insult being that it(1988) "grew Legs" and walked off.

Saving the last of a gazebo bottle is one thing, I don't think anyone to date has cast a full sealed bottle to the wind. Especially a bottling like that.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

All of 'em, if possible. And, I'd certainly at least ask the storeowner if he'll give you a discount if you take all -- 10% would be reasonable. I'd also discreetely as possible point out that they've been on his shelf for 8 years -- here's a chance to clear them out in one transaction.
    Tim

You're on vacation where again???

Actually not too fond of EWSB either, so far, but, always willing to give it another try... Now the ORVW is another story!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    Actually not too fond of EWSB either, so far, but, always willing to give it another try... Now the ORVW is another story!
    Same here. Again, I would grab all of them if possible. The likelihood you will ever again cross paths with even one 1988 bottle gets more remote every day. I am what is called an 'impulse' buyer - on certain goods that is.....and, rare bourbons are one of those goods. If at all possible, I'll clean the shelf - especially the rare ones.....and I have done just that on every ORVW and WT12 that crosses my path.

Disciple
    Thanks all for your advice - I will get as many as I can, though I'm limited by finances and what I'm going to be able to carry. Having already cleaned the shelf of the ORVW 15/107 is a limiting factor for both of those.

Going to check a few other stores on my way out of the area as well.

I'm on Cape Cod, btw. Will gladly share details on my return.
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-28-2006 at 06:49.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    Thanks all for your advice - I will get as many as I can, though I'm limited by finances and what I'm going to be able to carry. Having already cleaned the shelf of the ORVW 15/107 is a limiting factor for both of those.

Going to check a few other stores on my way out of the area as well.

I'm on Cape Cod, btw. Will gladly share details on my return.
    Congrats on your discoveries and good luck in the rest of your vacation hunting. I've always heard that the rich and famous politicos of New England drink the best stuff out there on the Cape. I guess it was just rumor if you are finding that much good bourbon in the area! Their loss is your gain my friend! Congrats again!