Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Overholt

Novice

Old Overholt

What's the consensus on this stuff? This is the first rye whiskey I have ever tried and I really like it. A bit warm on the finish, perhaps, but the spice of the rye really comes through. At $11.99/fifth, I'm surprised that it isn't more popular.

Advanced Taster

Re: Old Overholt

Personally, coming from Western PA with coal miner blood, I find OO to be a little too creamy and smooth - I think the problem is the low proof. A 100 proof version with a bit more oak from aging would be an impressive whiskey, for sure. Rye can be very complex, and I find it retains "flavor layers" and gives itself up in a time sequence more than a corn-heavy bourbon does. Try the Van Winkle and Sazerac ryes to discover this, or the "Classic Cask" rye - all old and expensive. Jim Beam rye gives more of the raw rye hit than OO, but still lacks strength. Just for fun, compare Old Grandad BIB to all of them - it holds its rye note very well. Finally, if you ever come across a bottle of Sam Thompson rye, call me IMMEDIATELY. It is dangerous for you to drink, and should be sent to me at once for safekeeping.

Ralph Wilps

Advanced Taster

I second Ralph's recommendation of the Sazerac. At about $40 a bottle, it's worth every penny. It's one of the few whisk(e)ys I buy without hesitation any time I see it on a store shelf, not just because it's a rare find, but also because it's so damn good. Does anyone know if Buffalo Trace will be releasing a new batch?

SJ

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Overholt (aka Old Overcoat) was the "last man standing" of the classic ryes. Today it is made by Jim Beam and may simply be the Jim Beam Rye with a little more age on it.

Another rye in the popular price segment is Wild Turkey Rye, which has the advantage of being 101 proof, allowing more of the flavor to come through. Heaven Hill makes some inexpensive ryes too, under the Rittenhouse name and others.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Connoisseur

To muddy the rather limited "consensus" or opinions, I find Old Overholt to be a good product. Of course it is not the same as VanWinkle which I like or Sazerac which I've not tried but it is a very drinkable whiskey. I am glad that there is still an 'affordable' entry in the rye category.

Greg

Novice

I have a bottle of the old overholt I have been working on some time. The fact I have had it some time says how I like it. In my humble opinion it seems to be lacking in alcohol and is a bit weak in the knees. I much pefer the Wild Turkey and have polished off one and started another bottle. I have tried the the Van Winkles and give them high marks. The Jim Beam is only worth buying once. I am presently applying for a loan so that I can try the Sazerac. Anyway it is all worth trying and I am having fun and that is all that matters. Enjoy,enjoy enjoy!

The Man from Missouri

Advanced Taster

Amen Ray! The Old Overholt I've tried is okay, but I much prefer Wild Turkey. The Jim Beam .... well it's typical Jim Beam, enough said.

Are you coming to the Bourbon Festival? If so, I'll bring some Sazerac for you to try. It is very good, but I still think the Van Winkle ryes come very close for a fraction of the price.

Bill
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/>http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/</A>

Enthusiast

In response to your question about a new batch of 18 year old Sazerac Rye, I can say that we will be producing another 300 cases in mid to late September. The price will stay the same, between $34.99 and $39.99 at retail. Since demand outstips supply, some retailers may take advantage and increase the price.

Last year's vintage is completely sold out, however, for those attending the Buffalo Trace gathering during Bourbon Festival will get to sample from my private stash.

Ken

Connoisseur

Ken, Now I am even MORE sorry that I cannot get down for the private tasting.

Thanks for the info, Ken. It's great to know we haven't seen the last of this outstanding whisky. I only wish you didn't produce it in such limited quantities--you can't have too much of such a good thing ;-)

How many of those 300 cases are earmarked for Pennsylvania?

Thanks,
    SJ