Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.
    Greedy Angels! The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!
    JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe
    Greedy Angels! The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!
    JOE
    Exactly, Joe...

The folks who bought barrels, the age was 12-14 years old...or at least that was one of them. Thier barrel was bottled at 90 proof..This Rittenhouse is 21 years old and bottled at 100 proof.

You'd be suprised...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...

We bottled two more barrels last night...It only gets a layer to a pallet.

Bettye Jo
    Last edited by boone; 09-27-2006 at 11:31.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Administrator in exile
    Has anyone seen this on a shelf yet?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur
    I am currently headed toward my basement to construct a Rye vapor recapturing unit to send to Heaven Hill. Of course after installation, I will expect a reasonable amount to be bottled and sent to me.

I guess that makes sense that over time you'd be losing measured amounts. It still brings a tear to my eye though.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    Bettye jo are they going out 3 bottles to a case?
    Mark/Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Bettye jo are they going out 3 bottles to a case?
    Yes, three to a case...

I just checked to see where the first shipments went to...

Kentucky

and...England...

I am told that small amounts will be delivered to every market distributor...No one will get "alot" so that it can be spread around...many folks will get a shot at it.

Sooooooooooooooo...You Kentucky Boyz start your engines

Bettye Jo
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    ...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...

Still though, there's that nagging question in my mind: one bottle of Rittenhouse 21, or a case of Rittenhouse BIB?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    The same article appeared in the Lexington Herald...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...s/15609281.htm

That is what's posted on the web but in the "actual" newspaper there's a huge picture, with caption identifying Parker Beam, Master Distiller Heaven Hill, in a full warehouse holding a bottle of Rittenhouse 21. On the front page header it had a picture of the Rittenhouse too.

Bettye Jo
    Here's a scan of the article as it appeared in the Lexington Herald...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Glowing Review

On a Delta flight to Dallas this week, I was reading their "Sky" magazine where I came across the section where Paul Pacult reviews various wines, spirtits etc. The October issue has his review of the 21 yr Rittenhouse. He says: "If you buy just one American whiskey this fall (heavens to Betsy, I hope that's the least you do), consider this classic, lip-smacking straight rye whiskey. Even though it's 100 proof, the aromas and flavors are so harmoniously melded that all you savor is its cocoa and honeylike virtures. The best straight rye I've sampled in 25 years. 5 Stars (out of a possible five)"

Well, to that!

JOE