Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    I find when I am tasting a new bourbon, or really tasting for any reason, that I use a brandy snifter. However, when I am simply enjoying a bourbon (backyard, dog at feet, bluegrass playing, after dinner) I tend to use these glasses that I picked up from Wal-Mart. They were like eight bucks for a four-pack, have an inch thick glass bottom, and are a standard highball style other than that. I love these glasses because of the thick bases on them. Ninety percent of the time, I prefer my bourbon at room temperature, but I find that in most of my glasses my hand ever-so-slightly elevates the temperature of my drink. I find that the thick base of these glasses prevents that. Anybosy else have something like that?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I tend to use these glasses that I picked up from Wal-Mart. They were like eight bucks for a four-pack, have an inch thick glass bottom, and are a standard highball style other than that.
    Man the high-rollers out bragging about their fancy schmancy glassware.

I use IKEA glasses, $1.99 a six pack.
    Or occasionally Wild Turkey snifters: free with admission to the KBF Gala
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice
    Just depends on what I'm drinking. I have a couple of thicker low ball glasses I bought at Ross on the cheap and I use them for bourbons I enjoy on the rocks. I also have a couple of stemless wine glasses I picked up at a Cost Plus World Market and I use them for bourbons I prefer neat.

I have my share of glassware aquired in gift packs but never seem to use them much.

I looked into some Riedel but would rather spend my money on bourbon.

Novice

As an enthusiast rather than a connoiseur, I like it best from the bottle or a flask. Failing that it's whatever cup is handy.

Connoisseur
    Welcome to the board both of you. Add a little info to your profile if you want and share at least your first names and where you hail from. It helps folks to get to know you.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    I bought a pair of fancy-smancy glasses Timothy and brought one to KBF. I managed to hold on to it all the way through, but think when I was packing I may have left it in the room somehow!

Fortunately it was a two pack so the other one was at home. My old reliable $1.99 version is there too. Although I'm favoring the new one already. I won't be favoring them if I keep losing them though!
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Advanced Taster
    I got a set of Riedel's bourbon glasses, and am enjoying them. The set of four cost me $29 from Amazon.com with free shipping.

For smaller pours, check out these thermal double-walled espresso/shot-glasses from Bodum. They hold 2 oz and retail for $12/pair.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by darkluna
    I got a set of Riedel's bourbon glasses, and am enjoying them. The set of four cost me $29 from Amazon.com with free shipping.

For smaller pours, check out these thermal double-walled espresso/shot-glasses from Bodum. They hold 2 oz and retail for $12/pair.

I've had real problems with the Bodum double-walled glasses breaking, including several times while I was drinking from them. These were instances with iced beverages but scary enough that I have stopped using them.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster
    for social drinking i like a low ball glass, the heftier the better, but i am not too picky. for tasting, i have some cheap wine glasses that came with a picnic set my wife and i got for our wedding years ago (8 yrs to be precise, in case she reads this). they are small and allow me to nose the pour pretty well.

Taster

Re: Bourbon and Glassware Pairings

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Here's the glass that I've been using for the last few months and have fallen in love with. I like the hefty size and the fact that they work equally well for straight bourbon, on the rocks, or for a manhattan.

I bought them from Gumps.com. Search for whisky glasses.
    Is that ice in those glasses?

*shudders*