Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mojito recipe?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Appleton White is a good choice, it has some character and is not too bland. Still, next to Wray & Nephew's Overproof Rum it is quite different. The mint and lime in Wade's recipe would perfectly match the strong unrefined taste of the Overproof (although its feisty taste is not for all to be sure). I have to remember that Cuban rums are not available in the U.S. But Wray & Nephew is a good alternative and the young unrefined rums around the Caribbean are not all that different. I like dark and golden rums but for this drink a white rum seems to me essential although it would work probably too with a dark rum (after all, think of the mint julep).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-20-2006 at 07:59.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Low Cal Version

Instead of simple syrup, (High Carbs and non-diabetic friendly) use Diet 7-up to muddle and top off.
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Lots of time, I do make my own simple syrup. Living in coffee land, we have a tremendous selection of flavored syrups available. One brand, DaVinci Gourmet, makes a Sugar Free (Splenda based) Simple Syrup. I can pick up a bottle of this at a Cash and Carry grocery place for $4. Works great for those low cal drinks.

I also use this in the morning in my coffee. True, I could just open a package of Splenda, but I have a pour nozzle on bottle and like pouring a shot (3 seconds is perfect) into coffee.

I'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    Lots of time, I do make my own simple syrup. Living in coffee land, we have a tremendous selection of flavored syrups available. One brand, DaVinci Gourmet, makes a Sugar Free (Splenda based) Simple Syrup. I can pick up a bottle of this at a Cash and Carry grocery place for $4. Works great for those low cal drinks.

I also use this in the morning in my coffee. True, I could just open a package of Splenda, but I have a pour nozzle on bottle and like pouring a shot (3 seconds is perfect) into coffee.
    I've tried my own "artificial" simple syrup and its just not right.
    I'll try and find the DaVinci and report back.
    Thanks
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    If you want to try it, there is one of these restaurants over by Southcenter Mall in Tukwilla.
    So Wade,
    Are you suggesting that... we all go to Tukwilla?

Roger "20 year old Seattle reference" Hodges

Connoisseur
    Wade, we went to the party last night and I served up the Mojito's as we sat out on the patio enjoying appetizers. The Mojito's were as incredible as our sample night, and they are very refreshing on a nice warm evening.

I am going to have to try and make a picture of them and see how that works.

I am now out of limes so I am playing around with some Lemon Drop recipes. Vodka, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little simple syrup...not bad, but it's missing something...Do you have any suggestions for that one!

Thanks again.

Todd
    Todd

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by T47
    I am now out of limes so I am playing around with some Lemon Drop recipes. Vodka, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little simple syrup...not bad, but it's missing something...Do you have any suggestions for that one! Todd
    My wife likes Lemons Drops. Her recipe uses the above, but adds some Triple Sec or other Orange Liquour. Ratio is 2 parts simple syrup, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part Vodka, 1/2 part Triple Sec. Sometimes she tops with a little Sprite.

Connoisseur
    Thanks...I will give that a try.
    Todd

Connoisseur
    Wade,
    I owe you thanks again. The Lemon Drop is a tastey treat on these hot days. I had a couple days off work to get caught up on yard work and some BBQ. Had the neighbors over for a little cocktail time and had Mojitos and Lemon Drops. Very refreshing and enjoyable. The splash of sprite in the LD is a nice touch, gives it a little sparkle.
    Todd

Enthusiast
    My wife likes Mojos as well and for a change I muddle fresh rasberries in the mix. She loves them. I also use Dark Rum I got in the Dominican this past fall.