Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

What's the wackiest thing you've heard about bourbon?

Recently, in Indianapolis, I ordered a pour of 2002 GTS. While enjoying it (a lot) another bartender approached me. Looking left, then right, to be sure no one was listening, he leaned in and said in a conspiratorial whisper, " Most people don't know that when they buy Stagg they're being ripped off. The distillery takes Booker's that isn't good enough and puts it into these tall bottles and sells it at a premium price."

What is the wackiest thing you’ve heard about our favorite libation?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Well, it would be hard to beat that one!

Gary

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    " Most people don't know that when they buy Stagg they're being ripped off. The distillery takes Booker's that isn't good enough and puts it into these tall bottles and sells it at a premium price."
    Only after the Booker's is run through the Dane's Amazing New Age Dogshit Aging Accelerator does the it turn to Stagg.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    " Most people don't know that when they buy Stagg they're being ripped off. The distillery takes Booker's that isn't good enough and puts it into these tall bottles and sells it at a premium price."
    I can't help but wonder if that bartender had some insider information he's busting out with???? Like maybe they HAD a bottle of 2002 Stagg....made a bunch of money selling it and couldn't get another...so filled it with Bookers?

Are you sure it tasted right? I may have to get Jon and Randy to go check this out!

Dawn

Connoisseur
    What bar were you at, I live in Indy and I'd love to talk to that bartender, I bet he's a riot, even if he doesn't know it. That's hilarious.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007
    This is probably a bartender that thinks good vodka has qualities, too!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Administrator in exile
    I once had someone tell me that they had actually visited the "Knob Creek Distillery", and by their discription, I knew they weren't talking about Jim Beam.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt
    I can't help but wonder if that bartender had some insider information he's busting out with???? Like maybe they HAD a bottle of 2002 Stagg....made a bunch of money selling it and couldn't get another...so filled it with Bookers?

Dawn
    I've had all the Staggs (though this was my first with 2002).... it definitely wasn't Booker's. It had all the complexity and richness (and oak) that one would expect from a GTS.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru
    And also after Booker's is run through Dane it turns to Smirnoff Citrus Twist Vodka...
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    I have to tell all of you I am amazed at how many times in a liquor store or a bar when I ask for bourbon, I am immediately directed verbally (and sometimes physically) to the Jack Daniels Display with with 50 bottles sitting on a barrel or shelf. "Yeah we've got bourbon, we've got Jack Daniels".

Ok,Ok...the displays aren't normally in bars...but the comment is.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004