Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster
    It's not exactly "wacky," but I wish I could count how many times I've heard people say, "Oh, I like bourbon and whiskey" or "I like scotch and whiskey" as thought whiskey were somehow a separate product. This odd turn of phrase happens even with people who seem to know a little bit about it.

This also crops up on bar menus. One of my local favorites has these two sections: "Single Malt Scotch" (Laphroaig, Balvenie, essentially anything with a gaelic name) and "Bourbon and Whiskey" (for Jim Beam, Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's, and even Johnnie Walker.) And this is a fairly high-tab joint, too.

Connoisseur
    So my girlfriend and I went to a bar in downtown San Diego the other night. She ordered a pomegranite cosmo, which was fairly good as far as those things go.

I asked the "bartender", "What do you have for bourbon?", while I was eyeing a bottle of Basil Hayden, WT101, MM and Bookers on the top shelf.

He replies, "Oh, well, we have Jim Beam, WT, Jack Daniels and Crown Royal."

Bartender? How did HE get THAT liscence?

Enthusiast
    Worst encounter lately was a hotel in Albuquerque. Asked what bourbons were available and got "Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, and Canadian Club". Not even Beam White. Why is bourbon such a persona non grata at many places? Having to explain an historic genre of whiskey to a bartender or waitress seems surreal.

Kevin

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by scopenut
    Worst encounter lately was a hotel in Albuquerque. Asked what bourbons were available and got "Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, and Canadian Club". Not even Beam White. Why is bourbon such a persona non grata at many places? Having to explain an historic genre of whiskey to a bartender or waitress seems surreal.

Kevin
    They are just kids. To them, bourbon is just some strange thing that old people drink.

All they know is vodka, tequila, and spiced rum. And a bunch of weird kiddie coolers.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I don't begrudge a place from separating SMSW and other Whiskeys

Quote Originally Posted by clayton
    It's not exactly "wacky," but I wish I could count how many times I've heard people say, "Oh, I like bourbon and whiskey" or "I like scotch and whiskey" as thought whiskey were somehow a separate product. This odd turn of phrase happens even with people who seem to know a little bit about it.

This also crops up on bar menus. One of my local favorites has these two sections: "Single Malt Scotch" (Laphroaig, Balvenie, essentially anything with a gaelic name) and "Bourbon and Whiskey" (for Jim Beam, Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's, and even Johnnie Walker.) And this is a fairly high-tab joint, too.

Clayton,
    Separating Single Malt Scotch from Bourbon and Whiskey is both appropriate and accurate. Single Malt Scotch Whisky must be produced be from Scotland (Scotch) and be made from 100% malted barley (fermented with yeast) and distilled in traditional pot stills. No other grain product or fermentable material is allowed and it must not been blended with whisky from any other distillery.

Jim Beam is a Bourbon (Corn), Jack Daniels is a Tennesee Whiskey, Crown Royal is a blend of various grain whiskies and Johnnie Walker is a blend of malted scotch whiskies.

To me, the best examples of Bourbon and Scotch are as different as red and white wines. Sure they are both made from grapes, but in the glass there is absolutely no confusion.

Enthusiast
    A few years back a Scotch snob berrated me at a party for enjoying whiskey from the USA. He said that there were no strict contols on how they made "that rotgut" and one of them (I forget which brand of Bourbon now) could strip the enamel of sinks.

I told him that maybe he was confusing an old prohibition era story with fact, but he insisted that Bourbon was basically moonshine and I should be careful.

I didn't bother arguing - you have got to be kind to blind people I guess!

I also saw a guy in a bar about 20 years ago order a Jack Daniel's (which was right at the back of the bar and not that popular back then.) The barmaid went straight to the optics and poured him a Johnny Walker Black whilst he watched. He paid for the drink and went and sat down happy. I was confused and amused at the same time.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Advanced Taster
    As far as quality control, Bourbon is more heavily regulated than Scotch. The problem you have is that bourbon sells for such a stupid price in the UK. Here, you can pay the same price for a bottle of A'bundah or Bowmore 17 and GTS. I imagine in the UK, the GTS is much more expensive.

Funny extension to your story, I've seen the other way around here. Somone asked for a Johnny Black and got a 'Jack Black' instead.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    They are just kids. To them, bourbon is just some strange thing that old people drink.

All they know is vodka, tequila, and spiced rum. And a bunch of weird kiddie coolers.

Tim
    I don't know about that. I am only twenty-one. I just have a serious problem with dumb bartenders.

Guru

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter

I didn't bother arguing - you have got to be kind to blind people I guess!
    Keeping away from strife is an honor for a man,
    But any fool will quarrel.

Proverbs 20:3
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    I was in Dallas and asked the bartender what the best selling bourbons were.
    #1. Jack Daniel's
    #2. Crown Royal
    #3. Southern Comfort
    #4. Jim Beam

When I said only one was a bourbon he informed me that I was obviously new to the business and needed to learn a lot more before I lost what little credibility I had. Oh well........

Ken