Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Weber
    When I said only one was a bourbon he informed me that I was obviously new to the business and needed to learn a lot more before I lost what little credibility I had. Oh well........

wow.....

Disciple
    Imagine that, a bartender telling a bourbon distillery employee about the whiskey business. You should have asked about his selection of blended scotch. I'll bet the 1st brand to come out of his mouth would be Seagrams 7. Better yet, next time you are in Dallas, schedule a bourbon tasting and send that guy an invitation and then catch the look on his face when he finds out about your credentials.

Thomas

Connoisseur
    I was in Dallas and asked the bartender what the best selling bourbons were.
    #1. Jack Daniel's
    #2. Crown Royal
    #3. Southern Comfort
    #4. Jim Beam

When I said only one was a bourbon he informed me that I was obviously new to the business and needed to learn a lot more before I lost what little credibility I had. Oh well........

Ken
    Well, I guess you'd better buckle down, Ken! That's TOO funny.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Disciple
    #1. Jack Daniel's
    #2. Crown Royal
    #3. Southern Comfort
    #4. Jim Beam

Ken
    My first reaction was a belly laugh. Now I am just agog. I don't think you should let him stock any of your products.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    When I worked in a restaurant, I had a debate with my supervisor over whether Jack Daniels, Crown Royal and many other canadian Whiskeys were bourbon. He insisted they were and no matter what I said to the contrary; I was wrong and stupid.

Another time at a bar, I specifically asked for Single Malt Scotch, the bartender started at the vast selection of bottles for a long moment and finally answered, Johnny Walker Red and Johnny Walker Black, but coincidentally left out the Gold and Blue which were immediately adjecent on the shelf. (I guess he didn't see that insignificant little word, "blended".) And on top of that, the Classic Malt's Collection, which actually are single malts were in plain sight at the center of the top shelf.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    I don't know about that. I am only twenty-one. I just have a serious problem with dumb bartenders.
    Glad to hear there are young people with taste and knowledge on our board.
    Really glad.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    When I worked in a restaurant, I had a debate with my supervisor over whether Jack Daniels, Crown Royal and many other canadian Whiskeys were bourbon. He insisted they were and no matter what I said to the contrary; I was wrong and stupid.
    Couldn't you have just shown him the bottles and asked him to show you the word "bourbon" anywhere on them?

Since he was the stupid one, I don't imagine it would have helped.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast
    #1. Jack Daniel's
    #2. Crown Royal
    #3. Southern Comfort
    #4. Jim Beam

Ken
    I had the same reaction as Ed. That's too funny...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    In Ken's case, unfortunately, the customer is always right and, by extension, always not stupid.

In Tim's case, the right response would seem to be, "if it doesn't say bourbon on the label, it's not bourbon," although I guess the boss is always right too.

Advanced Taster
    What is the wackiest thing you’ve heard about our favorite libation?[/QUOTE]

That it needed to take a back seat to Scotch. Tom V