Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Question uuuggghhhhh........

well, i have this 1.75 bottle of jim beam white label which i have been trying to get rid of for a while now. last night a bourbon buddy of mine came over, and we took care of that.

fast forward to this morning.

so i was sitting on the couch eating a banana, trying to nurse my hangover, and i thought to myself, "this is the worst hangover i have ever had. surely there has to be a better mixing whiskey."

what do you all use for whiskey-coke* drinks? what has the least morning after effects? come to think of it, what makes one whiskey's hangover different from another?

* a whiskey-coke drink for myself is 40/60 mixed, add ice.
    Last edited by FlashPuppy; 06-18-2006 at 16:04.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    A key note

After a night of drinking...Drink "a lot" of water before you go to bed...

Bettye Jo
    Last edited by boone; 06-18-2006 at 20:04.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Guru
    Bettye Joe is right... the key for too much bourbon (or other alchohol) is water, lots of it... try one 12-16oz bottle / glass of water per drink consumed. You may be up all night but you will feel better for it in the morning.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast
    Ditto on the water. For mixers, I like OGD BIB and WT 101. They have enough flavor and proof to assert themselves when mixed. Actually tasting the whiskey might slow down the consumption a bit and help with the morning. I don't think any specific bourbon (or any other drink) will really be less prone to cause a hangover; it's basically the amount of alcohol you consume, plus things like body size and water sloshing around in there.

Bob

P.S. I was once told that the Norwegian phrase for "hangover" translates as "tiny workmen in my head." True? The translation I mean, not the description; that I know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Actually, one of my college professor's told me that little trick...

To make a long story short ...Dehydration will cause a hangover...

If you went way over the limit ... drink plenty of water before you go to bed and wear your depends

I ain't had a hangover since

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bettye Jo
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Guru
    I'll add a little side note to this as I have heard/experienced the water issue myself. On every trip you make to the bathroom during the night, drink more water to replace what your body has just expelled.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    My favorite mixer is Buffalo Trace. (I also enjoy it neat) Its very smooth and flavorful but not overly potent both to the tastebuds and for the next morning. And the price isn't much higher than Beam White.

To ease your hangover, you can always mix with less whisky relative to coke (you may or may not want to do this)and like everyone's already said drink lots and lots of water. When I was in college I always kept a half gallon of water next to my bed to drink throughout the night. Also a bit of chocolate in the morning can help soothe your stomach.

Connoisseur

Try it Neat

Also when I want to avoid hangovers I drink my bourbon neat (or with a few drops of water). It may be much stronger but I drink my drink much slower and since I'm savoring it I drink fewer drinks. If I mix or drink my whiskey on the rocks, I tend to drink way too many drinks since they go down so easy and I usually down one in less than five minutes. For me, drinking neat, I enjoy my spirits more and I feel much better the next day.

Once again a glass of water on the side never hurts.

Enthusiast
    A post about a huge hangover on your 13th post - how spooky!

All the advice above is good. Water is the one thing that will help you not suffer the next day.

If I ever have a few drinks indoors then I always make sure I have a glass of water for each glass of whiskey. I drink over 1 gallon of water a day anyway - even in Winter.

It scares me that a huge % of the population is chronically dehydrated and with that slight dehydration leval comes a massive drop in physical and mental performance. I drop clangers and make mistakes like everyone else but at least it's because I'm dumb (which I can do nothing about) and not dehydrated!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Advanced Taster
    Another tip...
    If you have had too much and feeling just a bit queezy - I recommend drinking warm water, it helps settle the stomach....

TK.(Troy)