Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: lower cost, better quality

My God! Linn is really Tim Delling with a multiple personality disorder! He has a Scotch identity and a bourbon identity...

Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Thanks for the flowers Tim!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Novice

Ken,

I do like Buffalo Trace and I probably over stated it a bit that The novelty of the taste is most of the reason why. Over the past four months I've purchased 25-30 different Bourbons and tried all but one. I have definitely decided on some that I don't like and some that I love. Buffalo Trace is one that I like, I'm just not certain where to rank it. I am currently drinking some and what stands out to me is a kind of grassy / earthy taste that then kind of warms up and takes on a vanilla and slightly sweet addition. I really don't know how to describe what I taste very well but that's where I'll start. I will say that the more i keep going back and trying it the more i like it. I own a few bottles of it and I have been unwilling to part with any to my fellow local bourbon friends since I cannot get it in this part of the country( I will pour it for them just won't part with a whole bottle). All of these things said I guess i could safely say it's growing on me. The taste is however quite different than most any I've tried and I for one cosider that a very good thing. It's nice to try something different enough that it really stands out and gives you something new to consider.

Mike

High Desert Whiskey Fan

The Boss

Greg,
    I spent the better portion of last week out in the woods with my son. I took my sole bottle of OGD BIB with me and consumed about half. That's some extremely competent bourbon, particularly when one considers it's price.
    Me and my brother used to drink it regularly some years back, but I havent seen it here in northern CA in several years. The bottle I have I picked up at a liquor store in Annapolis MD. Too damn far to drive for me, particularly after I've been drinking!

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

Tim
    That was right on ! couldn't be better and almost pissed in my pants laughing so hard!!!
    Life is good --Den

Guru

Knob Creek for $20? Man, that would be heaven! It is my top favorite and, here in Alabama, it is $32 for 750 ml.

While I am at it, my second favorite is Woodford Reserve (both are excellent, but I prefer the deeper, darker flavors of the Knob Creek) and third (so far) is Wild Turkey 101. In fourth, I have Elijah Craig 12-YO.

But, there are lots of bourbons I haven't gotten to, yet. Tops on my wish list are Blanton, Baker's, and Booker's.

Cheers, Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Add to your wish list the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. It keeps good company with the products you already have mentioned.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Connoisseur

Tim, Your choices are good ones. The nice thing about Booker's is the planned inconsistency -- always good but always slightly different. Yet, those bourbons are more expensive than the $20. I was saddened that Knob Creek 750 ml here went up from $19.95 to $21.95 but still a bargain compared to your prices.

If you can get any VanWinkle product I highly recommend them all.

Greg

Guru

Thank you. I will try to find that, but I live in an ABC store state and sometimes certain items just can't be found. And I do not believe I have seen that one, here.

But I will certainly keep an eye out for it.

PS - I have enjoyed several of your articles very much. I have seen them in several locations, mostly via links at about.com, but in other places, too. Keep up the good work!

Guru

Thanks. Yes, several people have steered me to the van Winkle bourbons and some of them are available in my area, but they are quite expensive. Since the Blanton is at the top of my list and it is $45, here, it may be a while before I can get to the van Winkle.

Also, I am confused as to the relationship between van Winkle and the old Weller distillery. I believe that Julian van Winkle was the master distiller at the defunct Stitzel-Weller distillery, but it seems that the current Weller and van Winkle brands come from different companies. I don't suppose this should be surprising, but it is.