Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: lower cost, better quality

You are on the right track. Pappy VanWinkle, Julian's father, was the 'head man' at Stitzel-Weller. To make a very long story short the distillery was closed, the brands sold, and Julian now owns his own small distillery. To make the story long and memorable buy a really interesting book, "But Always Fine Bourbon," by Julian's sister, Sally VanWinkle Campbell (available at amazon.com).

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Greg, but Pappy is Julian's Grandfather.
    Mike Veach

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bourbonv on Sun Sep 9 07:30:01 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

AND Julian operates a rackhouse and a bottling line, but not a distillery. He ages, bottles and sells bourbon that he acquires from distillers. Most of what he sells is bourbon made at Stitzel-Weller using his family's recipe.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Connoisseur

I stand corrected and did know both points (See postings from Mike and Chuck) -- haste leads to distribution of misinformation. I believe Julian calls his operation "distillery" on his label (though I must admit I should look) and thus used the term. I'm not sure why I stated "father" instead of "grandfather. "

Lest I mislead the S-W operation was sold first and then eventually closed.

Greg

**DONOTDELETE**

Now I'm confused! I thought that J. van Winkle III opperated the Old Commonwealth Distillery and held a DSP number even though he has never distilled any whiskey there, or anywhere to my limited knowledge. Jullian is much like Even Kulsveen's Willit's non-distilling distillery. A licensed distillery according to the BATF yet they distill nothing. A comical confusion of factual coincidence.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Connoisseur

I suspect you are correct but I don't have the facts.

Greg

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

He may well have a DSP number, but he doesn't have a distillery, i.e., there is no still at the site.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Enthusiast

Mike,
    Thanks for the information. I must agree that BT has an earthy taste to it. We did some blind taste-testing with several consumers and found out that 5% of the testers did not like the taste because it was too earthy. While this indicates that most folks liked the product, those 5% hated it! This taste attribute apparently is one you really like or really dislike.

Ken

Taster

Being new to straightbourbon.com, I have chosen to join in your discussion regarding low cost, good quality bourbon. I am relatively new to the real appreciation of bourbon. I believe it was in 1998 that I started to realize that not all bourbons are the same. Prior to then whiskey, either bourbon or blended, was for drinking in a shot glass then chaseing it with a glass of beer.
    After trial and error over the last three years, I have chose three low cost, good quality bourbons that I always have in our cabinet: Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey (101), and Jim Beam Black Label. All three of these are quality bourbons in the $14.00 - $22.00 range.
    Of the three I would say that Maker's Mark is my favorite. It has a such a warm smooth finish. I know from some of are discussions at this year's bourbon festival and reading through different postings that many people do not care for this bourbon. However, after the festival I still come to the conclusion that in my opinion this is a great bourbon. Originally recommeded from a friend, this is the first bourbon that I really distinquished from the very average to poor well bourbons sold at the local tavern.
    Wild Turkey 101 is a more full bodied bourbon. It has a nice, yet not to harsh, kick to it. It is my bourbon of choice when our family goes on camping trips.
    Jim Black Label is just a suprisingly good bourbon for its cost. I first tried it after visiting the Jim Beam distillary in Clermont, Kentucky. They actually were giving samples of their small batch bourbons, Baker's and Knobb Creek. It impressed me, however, that the lady from Jim Beams let us know that the Jim Beam product she drank the most was the Black Label. When we got home from that trip I tried it, really liked it, and it has been a regular at our house ever since.
    From time to time, I will give myself a treat with some Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, but for day to day enjoyment I feel these three bourbons are excellent choices.

Todd

Guru

While I have been a big fan of Maker's Mark for many years, I enjoy it less and less as I have been tasting a larger variety of bourbons. It has a bland taste that pales in comparison to some other, even less expensive whiskeys.

My current two favorites in the inexpensive category are Elijah Craig 12 year-old and Old Forester 100 proof.

To me, the Elijah Craig has a big, bold taste that I can't really compare directly to anything else I've tried - a tasting expert I have read says that this flavor is rye, but I'm not yet educated enough to know. I just know that I like it. CAUTION - this whiskey is NOT among the smoothest bourbons, it definitely gives quite a bit of alcohol "burn". But, the maple and caramel flavors and aromas are wonderful.

The Old Forester 100 proof is quite smooth and gives a big, classic bourbon flavor. I would easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys good bourbon.

I hate to come down so hard on Maker's, but this is my experience. Of course, beautiful bourbon flavor is on the tongue of the beholder, so "your milage may vary".

Cheers, Tim