Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Host?

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Southern Host?

I saw some bottles of this recently on the shelf down in Portland, OR. It was next to Southern Comfort. 100 proof, $11 a bottle, Bardstown (so assuming a HH product). Anybody ever try this?

On a side note, for Portlanders, the liquor store on Bunside in Gresham has 4 bottles of George T Stagg, 2005 spring release, 131.8 proof for $57.80 each on the shelf.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Never had it, but it definitely is a Southern Comfort knock-off, of which there were many at one time. A surprisingly popular product, Southern Comfort, the liqueur that thinks it's a whiskey.

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    On a side note, for Portlanders, the liquor store on Bunside in Gresham has 4 bottles of George T Stagg, 2005 spring release, 131.8 proof for $57.80 each on the shelf.
    Thanks very much for the heads up, wadewood! There's still one left there....

This Southern Host intrigues me even less than Jeremiah Weed (which is to say almost not at all and certainly not enough to buy). Damn OLCC won't carry Old Forester BIB, but every store has at least three bourbon liqueurs.

PM me next time you're coming through Portland. If you insist on buying Southern Host, I reckon I'll trade ya some Stagg for a taste.

Jeff

Jeff, I am up in the Portland area every few months and always take something for my best friend in Canby, maybe one of these trips sometime down the road we could meet up for a pour? Where abouts in Portland are you?

I just recently shipped him ORVW15, among a few others, so when I am up most likely in August he and I could do a Van Winkle tasting (he's got Pappy15 already and I plan to take Pappy 20 and Rip 10).

Oh also if you are in need of any Buffalo Trace Santiam Liquor in Albany carries it, yeah I know, I couldn't believe it myself!!
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 07-01-2006 at 22:29.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Taster
    Sounds good, Christian. I'm at Beaverton Creek, west of the city on the Max line. I'd be happy to host or meet up with you guys for a drink.

I'm fairly new here, so Canby is just a place I've heard of, and Albany wasn't even that (I had to Google it)! Fortunately. my local store almost makes me forget that OLCC runs the show here, so I probably won't have to go that far to get good whiskey. Of course, if I'll go to Gresham for Spring Stagg, a road trip to a more appealing part of the state for something hard to get is a given.

Jeff

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood
    I saw some bottles of this recently on the shelf down in Portland, OR. It was next to Southern Comfort. 100 proof, $11 a bottle, Bardstown (so assuming a HH product)
    You assume right, Wade
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Apprentice

Southern Host

We used to drink this alot in college. It was cheaper than Southern Comfort. I managed to get real sick on it somewhere around 1987 and I still cannot stand the smell of it or Southern Comfort.

Really cheap bourbon became my drink of choice after that. I mean REALLY cheap stuff. WV state liquor stores used to carry dozens of really cheap bourbons.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chperry
    We used to drink this alot in college. It was cheaper than Southern Comfort. I managed to get real sick on it somewhere around 1987 and I still cannot stand the smell of it or Southern Comfort.

Really cheap bourbon became my drink of choice after that. I mean REALLY cheap stuff. WV state liquor stores used to carry dozens of really cheap bourbons.
    Has there ever been any beverage that has made as many people sick as Southern Comfort? Well, maybe besides cheap tequila. How many times have you heard..."When I was (fill in young age), my friend and I (took/stole/borrowed) a bottle of Southern Comfort from his dad's liquor cabinet...We drank half the bottle mixing it with (fill in the blank)...Boy did we get sick. I must have thrown up for (fill in the blank)!!

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Very true. When I worked in marketing for the brand (for six years), we constantly complained that our biggest challenge was the fact that most people had tried the brand, had a bad experience, and rejected it before we were legally allowed to talk to them about it.

For much of its history, Southern Comfort was viewed as a transition from beer to whiskey.

There was a very funny essay written by someone who was in marketing for the brand before Brown-Forman bought it. It was a commentary on the brand and some of its characteristics. I wish I had a copy of it, but the funniest line was when he described it as, "the old leg-spreader."

I worked on Southern Comfort right after Brown-Forman bought it and for about six years thereafter, so I had contact with some of its heritage from the previous owner, a St. Louis company whose name escapes me at the moment. They owned a large park-like property outside of town where they used to hold company picnics and where we held a couple of marketing meetings in the early days, before Brown-Forman sold all of the St. Louis operations and moved everything to Louisville. This was in the early 1980s.

Guru
    Yes, now I remember. When I was a young man (late 60's, early 70's), Southern Comfort was always 100-proof and it seemed to me to have a much richer character than it does now. I also remember the label saying it was from St. Louis.

Fortunately, I don't remember ever getting overly ill on it. I bought it occasionally until I grew up. If I could get some of the old stuff, I would probably still enjoy it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur