Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Eagle Rare 101 on the way out?

I have noted that more than a few folks on this forum like Eagle Rare, so I headed to the store to see what I could find. I found some, made a purchase and I am working on my second pour from the bottle as I type this. My relatively naive taste buds are enjoying it very much.

In search the web for more information, including searching threads in this forum, it seems that the distiller/bottler may be phasing out the Eagle Rare 101 in favor of the Eagle Rare Single Barrel.

Is this true? I am seriously considering purchasing more bottles ($20 ea). At the very least, I would have something to offer in trade...if I don't drink them all.

The 10yo Eagle Rare 101 has not been bottled for some time now. It is in the same age/price range as Buffalo Trace and some other BT bottlings, thus the distillery was competing with itself both for whiskey to put in the bottles and on the shelves.
    Tim

Guru
    Yes, the old ER-101 is gone now but it remains one of my favorite pours.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast
    Yeah, if you like it, stock up; it won't go bad in your pantry. And although Tim points out that BT was basically competing with itself, it was only ER-101 that was distributed in GA among those pours; don';t know what you can get in SC.

Now that I think about it, I did see a couple of bottles on a shelf a while back. I think I've talked myself into a visit.

Bob

Taster
    thanks for the information, guys. i'll head back and get another bottle or so. it wouldn't hurt to stock up.

Connoisseur

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tgriff
    thanks for the information, guys. i'll head back and get another bottle or so. it wouldn't hurt to stock up.
    There are still a number out there. If you have the time and money to look in enough stores, you'll be able to put away a nice little stash for yourself. At least that has been my personal experience. Just don't wait too long.....word is getting around.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Disciple
    I have seven stashed, no it might be six and one open. Better see if I can get anymore put away. The Eagle Rare SB is a good deal more expensive than the 101 here in Japan, but from what I hear, the SB is not priced as high back in the States.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    I have seven stashed, no it might be six and one open. Better see if I can get anymore put away. The Eagle Rare SB is a good deal more expensive than the 101 here in Japan, but from what I hear, the SB is not priced as high back in the States.
    Ed
    I paid $20 for the ER 101 and the ER SB was $29, not too bad.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriff
    I paid $20 for the ER 101 and the ER SB was $29, not too bad.
    It is a bit worse here. The problem is that I like the 101 as well or better and don't want to pay more for its "lesser" sibling. I probably will when my stash is all gone. Then again, my ER SB experience is based on a single bottle and I have found SB's to vary a good deal from bottle to bottle.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru
    . . . I like the 101 as well or better and don't want to pay more for its "lesser" sibling.
    Ed,

I find that it makes the experience less grating if I gaze steadily at the beautiful bottle while sipping the ERSB.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,