Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Threaded View

Advanced Taster

Old Potrero Single Malt Spirit

This is my first attempt at tasting notes, so forgive the simplicity. I didn't see a review of this anywhere else on the site, though it has been mentioned once or twice before. I bought a mini for about 7 dollars, not wanting to invest too much in this particular spirit (not really a whiskey). This one helped me understand the effects of the wood on the spirit, as the differences between this and any rye I've had are quite apparent.
    -----------------------------------------
    Old Potrero Single Malt Spirit- Anchor Distilling Company, San Francisco
    124.2% abv
    100% rye malt
    "Aged 2 years in new and used uncharred oak barrels"

Color: Very pale yellow, almost like white grape juice. Not surprising given the age.

Nose: Neat-Dominated by alcohol, though strong cinnamon notes come through, as well as a distinct floral tone. Cutting it with a little water tones down the cinnamon, and brings out the floral notes a bit more. Just a touch of leather.

Taste: Neat- The cinnamon makes it through, with some sweetness. Not much complexity. Cut with water: Fruity, somewhat spicy. The rye sweetness is present, seemingly untempered by the wood. Actually somewhat reminiscent of low-end non-peated scotch, in a way that I'm not fond of- raw grain flavors, and alcohol burn.

Finish: Rough, strong alcohol finish, with a bit of a sour lingering flavor.

Overall: I'm glad I tried this one, and glad I only bought a mini. It's definitely worth trying for the experience, but it's a rough, raw, spirit. If this is typical of early American spirits, then I very much understand the evolution of the cocktail. I got pretty good pictures of the bottle before I drank it- those are posted below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Sam