Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Woodford Reserve

I am out of the house for a couple of weeks on business, and I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve to drink while I was away. I do not care for this bourbon. I have tried Maker's Mark, Blantons, Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig 12 YO, Eagle Rare 10 YO, Knob Creek, Bookers, and Pappy Van Winkel 20 YO.

I like all of those, but this Woodford is missing something. It seems a little weak, even when I drink it neat. The flavor, while smooth, seems very plain to me. It has a bit of a medicinal flavor to it. This is the second most expensive bourbon I have purchased (after the PVW20, didn't buy a bottle of the Blantons or Bookers). Definately not worth the price.

Curious what others think of this pour. I'm pretty disappointed. I expected something great.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur
    There are many fans of Woodford on this forum, but I am not one of them. I'd say it my least favorite of any reasonably high end bourbon. I don't understand its prestige or popularity either. If you're looking for a new purchase, I'd try Van Winkle 12 Lot B or a Black Maple Hill. Happy Hunting.

If you do have a bottle of woodford and do want to drink it so not to waste the money, IMO the most palatable way is to drink it on the rocks with a lemon twist and bruise it (shake it up with ice). Just a suggestion.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    There are many fans of Woodford on this forum, but I am not one of them.
    Me too.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Woodford Reserve was good early -- look for low batch numbers with Lincoln Henderson's signature -- but quite variable for the past several years. Run a search for titles containing "Woodford Reserve" and you'll get quite a number of returns. Here's one:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...odford+Reserve
    Tim

Advanced Taster
    I just got back from a bourbon tour and learned quite a bit from the tours and asking the right questions. When Brown Foreman decided to launch the WR brand, they went out of their way to pick the honey barrels from their warehouses. Over time, WR relies on these barrels much less and now uses primarily barrels distilled at the site. On top of all this, they do not rotate their barrels and use a/c and heaters to get consistency across their warehouse.

Adding insult to injury, to learn this information you need to shell out $5 per person as WR is the only distillery that charges for a tour.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Anyone with a bottle of WR that isn't to their taste might consider mixing it 50/50 with Old Forester (any proof but 100 won't hurt) or better yet, Birthday Bourbon. That will bring the taste closer to what it was in the earlier bottlings. I still buy WR though because I admire the effort to produce a whiskey mostly from pot stills. I am sure with time the taste profile will be adjusted and finalised as it were, maybe too as some of the inventory gets older they will be able to use older barrels to balance the heavy and full character. In other words I am assuming 8 year old barrels will be softer and less "whiskey-like" (or "congeneric", etc.) than the 4-5 year old barrels and when they have more old ones to use that will allow a batter presentation of the palate. But I like it now and it is good in particular in cocktails. Some modern bourbons are too bland for the classic whiskey drinks but WR is ideal.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Anyone with a bottle of WR that isn't to their taste might consider mixing it 50/50 with Old Forester (any proof but 100 won't hurt) or better yet, Birthday Bourbon.
    Great suggestion, Gary. I just amended a pour of WR #152 (gift from brother-in-law that I've managed to kill 80% of in six months)) with about 1/3 OF BiB and it is a definite improvement. Better than either, I might add.

Thanks for the tip, which is no less than I have come to expect from the blending guru of the north.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Enthusiast
    I agree with TNbourbon's post...those not agreeing with his assessment with the low batch numbers can forward their bottles to me!

Advanced Taster

Question Early batches of Woodford

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Woodford Reserve was good early -- look for low batch numbers with Lincoln Henderson's signature -- but quite variable for the past several years. Run a search for titles containing "Woodford Reserve" and you'll get quite a number of returns. Here's one:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...odford+Reserve
    Hi Tim, I was wondering how low those batch #'s would be that might represent Woodford in it's earlier more tasty state. I saw a liter bottle today that had Henerson's signature and was from batch #36. Tom V

Quote Originally Posted by tmas
    Hi Tim, I was wondering how low those batch #'s would be that might represent Woodford in it's earlier more tasty state. I saw a liter bottle today that had Henerson's signature and was from batch #36. Tom V
    In the 750ml size, the WR-distilled, copper-pot whiskey began being added at or about Batch 90 (in Fall 2003). Everything before that would be from the barrels plucked out of aging Old Forester whiskey and transferred to Woodford County.
    Tim