Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Smokeless Tobacco

I wanted to start a thread about smokeless tobacco; snuff, dip, plugs, chew, whatever you want to call it. I chew Copenhagen Black, Cope Straight, Kodiak, and Cope Long cut, the snuff is too messy for me, I'm not talented enough to keep in one place while I'm drinking. And don't forget Copenhagen Black is bourbon flavored.
    I love the fresh tobacco taste while I enjoy fine whiskey and sometimes while I'm not. I wondered if anyone harbored a spot of affection for the little ground up leaves. I actually pour a small amount of whiskey into the tin to help flavor the tobacco. I'd love anyone to chime in with their comments.

Tim

If I should move this thread, I will, I don't know if it belongs here, but I thought since it was a tobacco thread this is as good a spot as any. But what do I know?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    All the farm boys where I grew up chewed Skoal, but the men chewed Copenhagen. The wintergreen in Skoal burns my mouth too much and causes what we used to call a "totalled out lip". Most of those good old boys walked around with what looked like half a can in their bottom lip and pretty much made a mess wherever they went with little regard to anyone else's sensibilities. And it sure didn't make a good impression on most of the ladies.

Copenhagen helped me kick a two pack a day smoking habit back in 1982 and I still enjoy it. I have learned however, to be discreet with my little habit. I worked here for four years before anyone caught on that I pretty much had a dip in the whole shift because with only a tiny bit I don't do what most people object to: spit. I use the snuff because the long cut just feels heavy to me. I like the texture of the snuff better.

Unfortunately this stuff is as addicting as cigarettes and I get very antsy when I run out. I brush my teeth and gums religiously and so far my dentist hasn't even asked me about the habit I'm sure he would object to strenuously so I must be doing it right. I've tried the Copenhagen Black and found it not my cup of tea. And adding any liquid, even to an old dried up can makes it too mushy for me. So I'll stick to drinking my bourbon from a glass and let my cud fend for itself.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Guru
    Tim,

It's funny that you mention chawin' tabacky. Yesterday my visiting son and D-I-L, my wife and I attended "The World's Oldest Rodeo" in nearby Prescott, AZ. A major sponsor is US Smokeless Tobacco, a company I'd never heard of. Every mention of the video display that presented the standings and replays included the words "Smokeless Tobacco". By the end of the day I found myself growing curious as to whether I would enjoy it. (I didn't back in the dark days before February 28, 1983 when I smoked almost constantly.)

A Google search moments ago on "rodeo smokeless tobacco" revealed that this particular sponsorship is widespread and is drawing criticism from the usual quarters, just as cigarette company sponsorship has done for the last 50 years.

I am of two minds in this matter. I'm confident that no form of comsumption of tobacco is without peril and that some are downright dangerous. However, I've never believed that such concerns could account for the intensity of opposition.

Upon reading many of the condemnations of tobacco, H. L. Mencken's definition of a puritan as a person who is worried that someone, somewhere, someplace is having fun comes to mind. Accordingly, if I knew the precise moment when I am to die, I would arrange to have a smoke a few minutes before, preferably a cigarette imprinted in gold with a dollar sign [find "cigarette" at link].

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 07-05-2006 at 09:42.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    I'm not trying to convert anyone to chew, but virtue or vice it is something I enjoy, same a I enjoy and good cigar and I wanted to post about it. Oh well.
    Dane, I usually use a barrel proof like Stagg or Laphroaig Cask strength and I only add a few drops into the can, because if you're right if you add much you do end up with mush.
    Tim

Guru

I Apologize

Tim,

Your "Oh well" suggests to me that I gave offense with my comments. If so, I apologize. I intended only to display my ambivalence in regard to tobacco, smokeless or otherwise.

In no way do I fit Mencken's definition of a puritan -- at least not in regard to tobacco.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    The wintergreen in Skoal burns my mouth too much and causes what we used to call a "totalled out lip".

I don't know if this is true, but it's what I've heard on many, many occasions, that Skoal has a product in it similar to fiberglass that places small cuts in your lips to allow the nicotine to get into your bloodstream quicker, but also shreds your lips and gums. I know from my own experience when I have chewed Skoal it looks like someone ran the inside of my cheek over a grater, far worse than any other product. Also Dane, I wish I could chew the snuff, I personally like the taste, I just don't have the skill to keep it in one place.
    Tim

Guru

Thumbs up

I used to like chewing tobacco. I enjoyed Skoal, which is technically a snuff (but they don't want their customers to know it, so they came up with the term "smokeless tobacco), but what I really loved were the full-fledged loose leaf chewing tobaccos in the pouches. My favorites that I can remember were Red Man and Levi Garrett. I am sure I tried several others.

It gave a powerful (very powerful) nicotine rush. Sort of like comparing whiskey to beer, it was a much more immediate experience than cigarettes.

On the advice of my dentist, I had to give it up in the late 70's or early 80's. While it is actually good for your teeth (it is alkaline, therefore it neutralizes the acids that cause tooth decay), I was getting little bumpy sores on the insides of my cheeks. He seemed certain that, in my particular case, it could lead to cancer fairly quickly. So, I stopped chewing and never went back.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    Many moons ago I enjoyed Copenhagen. Many moons before that when on the farm as a young teenager, Redman was in most farmers bibs and so when I got a chew that was generally what it was.

My first (and last) carve of a plug came on the street in Midland, Texas at age 20 from a gentleman that looked to be about mid 80's. Who by the way after I took the plug and said "Thanks", spat at my foot and said "damn yankee".
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur
    I dipped in middle school through part of high school, used to get straight Copenhagen, Cherry Skoal, and Wintergreen Skoal. Could never decide which I liked better, the Copenhagen or the Cherry Skoal. I stopped dipping because my gums started to crack and would bleed every time I brushed my teeth; shortly after stopping so did the bleeding and cracking. Every now and then I pick up a can and it lasts me a long time because I just do it on rare occasions. The can I have now I know Ive had for over a year (Id throw it out but it feels just as moist as the day I bought it and it tastes just the same, Im really surprised).
    I still want to try the ones in the pouches (Redman, etc) and the plug kind (Actually, Id like to try all of the different kinds but those are the ones I want to try the most). In fact I was in a tobacco shop today and almost bought a pouch of Redman (Passed it up for a pack of Ecstacy cigarettes, they arent very good.) Do you just chew on these kinds almost like you would gum or do you do it the same as with snuff? Speaking of snuff again, has anyone ever snorted snuff? Supposedly you can and people do, Im not sure if there are certain kinds made special for this method of use though.
    I could definitely go for some dip right now
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru
    I've seen small tins of snuff for snorting, but can't remember the brand name. Never appealed to me as I sneeze enough already.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.