Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Gothbat, with the pouch tobaccos, you make a wad that you put between your side teeth and your cheek. You chew it from the side, if that makes any sense. You have to be outside in a non-urban place, because a lot of saliva is generated. To be honest, there aren't many places like that, anymore.

One powdered snuff brand I remember is Bruton's. I remember old ladies using it back in the late 50's. I wonder if there is still enough of a market that they still sell any of it?

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Gothbat, with the pouch tobaccos, you make a wad that you put between your side teeth and your cheek. You chew it from the side, if that makes any sense.
    Gotcha, thanks for the info. Thats actually what i used to do with my dip when I first started using it, eventualy I caught on and started putting it the front but I would always nibble on a little piece of it. So anyway I went and picked up some Redman to give it a try, it's not bad. Like all tobacco products I've tried it was relaxing. I was a bit disapointed that it didn't give me that burn that you get from dip but otherwise it was good. The taste wasn't bad, a bit sweet actually.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru
    If you think that is sweet, try the Levi Garrett.

Tim

Guru
    Sweetness and mess are the two drawbacks on pouch tobaccos for me. I tried them both in my experimental phase and the sweetness was too much for me. That and having to constantly wipe my chin off....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gothbat
    Speaking of snuff again, has anyone ever snorted snuff? Supposedly you can and people do, I’m not sure if there are certain kinds made special for this method of use though.
    From my reading, years ago, primarily in Europe Snuff was used in the nasal passages, but is was not snorted, as for lack of better example, cocaine, is today. The very finely ground tobacco would be placed up one nostral but not all the way up into the sinus where the juice would slowly bleed into the mucus membrane and release aroma and nicotine.
    Last edited by TimmyBoston; 07-12-2006 at 04:11.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Like Gothbat, I've wanted to try "real" chewing tobacco. And I have even less of an idea than Goth did on how to do it. Its still pretty murky.
    Another thing, does anybody have any recommendations on brands to pick up?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    Like Gothbat, I've wanted to try "real" chewing tobacco. And I have even less of an idea than Goth did on how to do it. Its still pretty murky.
    Another thing, does anybody have any recommendations on brands to pick up?
    Well, I have already given a couple: Redman and Levi Garrett. A couple of others I can think of are Beech Nut and Taylor's. The Beech Nut is pretty much the standard brand, kind of like the Jim Beam of chewing tobacco. Red Man is maybe a step above that, while Levi Garrett and Taylor's have a more premium image. Since I haven't chewed in 20 years or more, those are about all I remember. There may also be newer brands that I have never seen or noticed.

Tim

Guru

Here are some more I found.

Jackson's Apple Jack - I used to hear this advertised on baseball game radio broadcasts and I always wanted to try it, but I never saw it in a store.

Chattanooga Chew - I had heard of this one, but again, I never saw it.

Granger Select - same comment

Mail Pouch - same, again

The one I called Taylor's is actually Taylor's Pride

Work Horse - same comment, again

Here is a decent link: http://www.genuinetobacco.com/leaftobacco.asp

Tim

Connoisseur
    There are three brands which I chew:

Beechnut and Mail Pouch for chewing tobacco.

Days 'O' Work for plug or CHEWING tobacco.

After a few minutes of thought, I have a buddy from southern Indiana. His dad farms about 35 acres of tobacco. Whenever he goes home to visit his family, he brings back of few bags of some real fresh tobacco. I won't ever be able to beat that taste.
    Last edited by FlashPuppy; 07-23-2006 at 14:29.

Guru
    Your post promted me to recall something from my youth, when I helped my dad in our little grocery story.

Chewing tobacco was sometimes referred to as "scrap" on invoices. (In those days the man who ran the tobacco route that serviced our store would scribble invoices by hand.) I now wonder whether it was left over after the heart of the leaf was taken for some other purpose.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 07-23-2006 at 17:40.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,