Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Dave-
    That indeed may very well be how things were back then. Looking at my Days 'O' Work brick, it proudly claims "no end cuts". This leads me to believe that at one time, that plug was end cuts.

Connoisseur
    Dave-

I found the answer to your question. Plug was the premium part of the tobacco leaf which was pressed together and sweetened with most likely molasses. The pressed sheet was cut into bricks, packaged, and sold. The leftover from this process was called "scrap", and sold as looseleaf. That is what chewing tobacco actually is.

...and now you know the rest of the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco about 3/4 down the page

Connoisseur
    I have to say, I picked up a pouch of RedMan Golden Blend, I am a big fan of Copenhagen and I really enjoy snuff, but I was really disappointed. It burned like hell and was in general, unpleasant. I liked the actual chewing. But I was totally unprepared for the amount of juice produced. I will try it again, because as I recall about ten years ago my earliest experiences with snuff were so bad, I layed off for about three years yet I still grew to be quite fond of it. So I'll give it another go, but my preliminary report is sorrily enough: Yuck! I hope it changes. Also anyone know anything about Redman Golden Blend vs other commonly available brands.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    Golden Blend is a new one on me. But I don't pay any attention to any of the tobaccos in my peripheral vision. Copenhagen is the focus for me, I'm content with it. It does irk me that I have to ask for Copenhagen SNUFF when I walk into a convenience store or I end up with long cut.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Now I want to try the Golden Blend some day, the pouch of just plain old RedMan I picked up had no burn at all for me. I probably won't though. I guess I have a sensitive mouth or something because I've dipped/chewed maybe 15 times, randomly, since this thread started and after doing it most times my gums part of my cheeks would be raw after I brush my teeth. A few times the cigarette I smoke when I get to work in the morning was actually burning the inside of my mouth when I exhaled. I'd better stay away. :/ I will try a plug someday though!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gothbat
    ...I've dipped/chewed maybe 15 times, randomly, since this thread started...

Isn't it funny how that happens. I've noticed I have been chewing a lot more frequently since I started reading this. I have also been actively looking for a local store which sells Mail Pouch.

I picked up a package of pack of Mammoth Cave twist tobacco. Has anyone else ever tried/heard of twist before? It's, uh, different, for the lack of a better word.

Guru

On a related note, I saw an article in the printed news a few days ago. I will try to find an online link. It seems that the government has been sternly warning for the past few years that smokeless tobacco products are just as dangerous to health as smoking, but the research data does not and never has shown that. Some organization is suing them to only disseminate warnings based on the actual research findings, based on some federal law that that is what they are supposed to do.

Which is kind of funny, don't you think? When I was a kid and we were sitting down with friends to play a game, such as Monopoly or Strat-o-Matic baseball, we had to declare, "No fair cheating!", else cheating was not proscribed. The law referred to seems like the same thing.

Note: A quick online news search did not turn up a link, but I did see this in a major newspaper just a few days ago.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster
    Back many years ago I did my turn at chewing tobacco and snuff. I ended up with mail pouch because I didn't care for so much molasses sweetness such as what red man and levi garrett has. I also did the days o work plug and tried the twist tobacco which was too strong for me. The snuff of choice in the end was Kodiak. I used to work for the railroad back when drinking on the job was pretty much overlooked including participation by management. The veterans which I felt I was included drank beer and chewed tobacco at the same time. We called it sliding it by [Sliding the beer by the tobacco]. I'm retired now so they can't get back at me for it.

I am free of snuff and tobacco now but I still crave it and could easily go back to the practice. I live out in the country now so maybe I'll go get me a pack of mail pouch and see if it still tastes the same.

bj

Advanced Taster

Re: Smokeless Tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
    Many moons ago I enjoyed Copenhagen. Many moons before that when on the farm as a young teenager, Redman was in most farmers bibs and so when I got a chew that was generally what it was.

My first (and last) carve of a plug came on the street in Midland, Texas at age 20 from a gentleman that looked to be about mid 80's. Who by the way after I took the plug and said "Thanks", spat at my foot and said "damn yankee".
    Be thankful that this exchange didn't happen in Odessa! Yikes!
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Novice

Re: Smokeless Tobacco

FWIW I dip Cope Straight and Kodiak Wintergreen, chew Levi Garrett mmmm sweet. I also smoke a pipe in the evening or weekends, I only dip at work.
    Last edited by Nigel; 07-21-2007 at 08:06.
    Regards
    Nigel