Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Quaking Aspen Distillers

Here's a "story" I've been following for some time (Val's father lives in Salt Lake City and steered me to this). There's a fellow, David Perkins, who has obtained permits to begin "limited use" in Salt Lake City of a still he acquired from Germany (from Bavarian-Holstein I believe). He has spent some time in KY ".....following several master distillers around for two weeks as they did their job...." and is experimenting with various mashbills of corn, rye, barley, oats and wheat. I heard thru the vine that he's even trying a mashbill containing blue corn. Anyway, he's attempting to acquire property in Park City to permanently install and operate the still as a tourist attraction....but appears to have a real desire to develop some unique whiskeys. Anyway....lets wish him luck. You can probably find some published info using a search. But he's been pretty much low profile so far.

Randy

Novice

Re: Quaking Aspen Distillers

Hi Randy,

I read the article in the Deseret News the other day. It was in the Mondy Nov. 28th edition. Iam including the link below.

Utah Whiskey? Iam in!

Mike

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635164678,00.html

Connoisseur

Re: Quaking Aspen Distillers

Very cool. I hope he makes it. Always enjoy trying something new that shows high quality.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Quaking Aspen Distillers

I just read a short blip in a printed format about this micro distiller's attempt to make a blue corn experimental bourbon and did a search on our site and found these messages from last year. Any update available? I could not find anything new on the web.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Enthusiast
    I'm not positive, but I think I ran into this guy at Four Roses during the spring Sampler a few months back. He was hanging around with Jim Rutledge that day, trying to pick up some knowledge.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)