Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple
    Uh, ok. Most of #2 was a dumb question. I guess the two distilleries would be Old Forester's "Early Times" distillery in Shively, and the Woodford Reserve Distillery. D'oh! For some reason, it didn't register that Woodford Reserve was one of their distilleries.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    Chuck, your post raises three questions for me:

1. How does one get ahold of these consolidated statements? I assume it's a matter of public record, but is it available online or by writing an agency or...?
    At one time, I made a rather concerted effort to get them from a public source, without success. However, the distilleries all have them and my contacts there have been happy to supply me.

2. Sorry to ask a very basic question, but where are Brown-Forman's two KY distilleries? Louisville and Shively? (and does that barrel count include Early Times whiskey?)
    Shively, which is a suburb of Louisville, in Jefferson County; and Versailles, which is near Lexington, in Woodford County. The Shively distillery is just called the Brown-Forman Distillery and produces Old Forester, Early Times and some of the whiskey for Woodford Reserve. The Versailles distillery is the Woodford Reserve Distillery. Yes, the inventory includes Early Times.

3. You mention that "United Distillers (Diageo) reported that it has 20,596 barrels of 2004 whiskey." By 2004 whiskey, do you mean whiskey stored in 2004, or whiskey distilled in 2004? If so, and if such information is regularly reported, would be very interesting to see the ages of bourbons in stock at various distilleries.
    "2004 whiskey" means whiskey entered (i.e., distilled and put into barrels) in 2004.

Disciple
    So is information available on number of barrels entered in previous years? And are the years broken out? Or do the reports just display the number of barrels entered in that particular year?

If there are year-by-year stats, would be very interesting to know what some of the oldest bourbon is in stock out there, etc.
    -Dan

Disciple
    Just saw your post in the other forum with the consolidated statement. Thanks much!
    -Dan

...would be very interesting to know what some of the oldest bourbon is in stock out there, etc.
    Dan, I tasted a 25yo Stitzel-Weller wheated sample from Drew Kulsveen's hand in April, and while it was probably not marketable, it wasn't altogether 'gone', either.
    The 2,000 barrels of 18yo S-W warehoused at Buffalo Trace, but owned by Diageo, on the other hand, is wasted in Crown Royal!
    Tim

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    The 2,000 barrels of 18yo S-W warehoused at Buffalo Trace, but owned by Diageo, on the other hand, is wasted in Crown Royal!
    I'm puzzled by this. Surely it's worth more to someone else as a straight bourbon than it is as an additive to a blended whiskey, so why doesn't someone else (Buffalo Trace, perhaps?) buy it from Diageo. Is Diageo just stubbornly refusing to sell it...or what? Something seems odd about this whole scenario from an economics standpoint.
    -Dan

...Is Diageo just stubbornly refusing to sell it..?
    Yes, that seems to be it.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Crown Royal is a well-known Canadian whisky. It was first sold in 1939 to commemorate the visit of King George V and the Queen to Canada. The Royal couple also visited the U.S. and had cocktails (Old-Fashioneds) with President Roosevelt. From the beginning, Crown Royal contained some notably very aged whiskies, and about 20% of these were straight whiskies. For years the label on the back of the bottle specified that some of the whiskies were 30 years old. Probably the idea to do this was borrowed from Scots blending practice which also married whiskies of different ages, although North American blending methods go back to the 1800's of course and probably had evolved such methods independenty. About 20 years ago or so, the 30 years' age statement for the oldest whiskeys was dropped. Still, it is evident that the character of Crown Royal depends on it containing some well-aged straight whiskey. Evidently the S-W 18 year old is filling the bill and getting older will just suit Diageo's purposes more. It is undeniable that some whiskey is too old to drink on its own (I am not saying that batch or all aged bourbon, just some) but can work effectively in a well-built blend. I know this because I have made blends myself using a bland base, some mid-aged whisky and a little extra-aged whisky. The Scots have done it for years and their luxury blends all contain some whisky older than the advertised age to lend the desired qualities. If Diageo does not use this S-W whisky it will need to find another bourbon or rye that is old enough to impart the right oaky qualities. Crown Royal used to be a good blended whisky, I tasted some once from the 1950's which was excellent, full-bodied and quite rye-edged. Today it seems more bourbon-edged but it still very good, despite being made or blended in different places over the years (Waterloo, Ontario, home of the original Seagram distillery, later in Lasalle, Quebec where distilling was carried on in a complex built by the Bronfman family when it owned the distillery, and in Gimli, Manitoba, the sole site of the company's operations today). The company too offers special versions of CR such as Limited Edition and Special Reserve. These are good but don't quite to my mind duplicate the whisky as it was in the 50's and 60's. It was reported here some time ago a version of CR will be released soon containing whisky distilled at the Waterloo site which was closed about 20 years ago. I would think this version might seek to present more of the original palate of CR. While this is a straight whisky board, we occasionally peregrinate into discussions on blended and other whiskies and indeed other drinks. Things are related, one to the other...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-09-2006 at 06:22.

Guru
    . . . we occasionally peregrinate . . .
    Another dictionary moment from Gillman! I was already familiar with the bird of prey with a similar name, but I had no idea there was a verb from the same root.

Yet another reason why I love this place.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Dave thanks but we did discuss "peregrination" recently. Randy B. offered some interesting comments on the term as literally applied to certain birds and tall buildings in Houston!

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-09-2006 at 13:35.