Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Old Boone Distillery

While I was in Louisville a few weeks ago, I decided to find the old distillery I remembered that was not too far from where I grew up in Southwest Jefferson County. After a few wrong turns (It'd been 20 odd years since I had been back in that area), I found it. It was the Old Boone Distillery, on Bohannon Ave., in what is now Valley Station, but after some research, it seems the area was once called Meadowlawn. It is a fairly modern structure-- moreso than I remember-- and seems to be used as a warehouse for landscaping supplies now. Anyone know what brands were produced here, and which of the mega distillers it ended up with?
    Seems Virgin Bourbon was at least one that was produced here.

Sorry, but I didn't get a pic of the place

Advanced Taster
    wku88 said...
    Seems Virgin Bourbon was at least one that was produced here
    Is Virgin Bourbon no longer produced?? Or is it owned and produced by someone else?
    I ask due to the fact that there is a lot of this Bourbon available in Oz(or at least in Melb.)

TK.(Troy)

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Heaven Hill, produces the Virgin Bourbon...available in a 7, 10, 15, and a 21 year silver wax edition.

Bettye Jo
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Advanced Taster
    Cheers Betty Jo!!

To be honest I did suspect this, due to the VERY similar labelling on the Virgin Bourbon bottling and Evan Williams 7yr old(and the fact that Liquorland sell them both too)

15, and a 21 year silver wax edition....
    Betty Jo would you have a pic? I take it that these bottlings are for an export only market? Asia maybe??
    Who would I have to 'brown nose' to get a bottle of each??
    Would Ian from HH in NZ be able to get some??

Oh and Betty Jo I really must say that your presence here on SB.com is invaluable!! I have been able to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge from your 'insider' info. I do look forward to meeting you when I come over there. Thankyou!!

TK.(Troy)

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Heaven Hill, produces the Virgin Bourbon...available in a 7, 10, 15, and a 21 year silver wax edition.
    WOW! You learn something new every day.... I'd only heard of the 7yo
    Thanks for the info Bettye Jo

Disciple
    The Olde Boone distillery shut down around 1971 after an explosion and fire caused by a ruptured gas line. I read this in an article somewhere but can't remember exactly where. Whiskyportal.com lists the current owners as Fortune Brands and says that Jim Beam uses the warehouses at the site. I also remember reading about another fire that occurred at Old boone sometime in the 1960's that destroyed the bottling house and a finished goods warehouse.

Thomas

Advanced Taster
    I'd only heard of the 7yo
    Likewise Cam...
    I wonder if Max would want these coming into Oz...at least the 15 and 21 yr olds
    I'm sure they would be a hit!!

TK.(Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by BarItemsPlus1
    Cheers Betty Jo!!

To be honest I did suspect this, due to the VERY similar labeling on the Virgin Bourbon bottling and Evan Williams 7yr old(and the fact that Liquorland sell them both too)

Betty Jo would you have a pic? I take it that these bottlings are for an export only market? Asia maybe??
    Who would I have to 'brown nose' to get a bottle of each??
    Would Ian from HH in NZ be able to get some??

Oh and Betty Jo I really must say that your presence here on SB.com is invaluable!! I have been able to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge from your 'insider' info. I do look forward to meeting you when I come over there. Thankyou!!
    Thank you ...

Yeah, we pump out alot at Heaven Hill...rumor on last case count was nearly 8 million cases a year...Sometimes, it's hard to keep up with what's going on...Part of my job is to make sure the lines are changed over safe and things get bottled as fast as possible. This overtime is getting old...real old...

We are about to expand. I am glad but it will take awhile to add the additional lines.

Here's a picture that "Koji" posted...all of Virgin Bourbon bottlings are in "his" (Koji's) picture They are shipped to Japan

PM me for a number to call to see if it "could" possibly become available in your country.

Bettye Jo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan
    WOW! You learn something new every day.... I'd only heard of the 7yo
    Thanks for the info Bettye Jo
    You are very Welcome Cameron ...

and...

G'day to ya (sent with my very southern accent!)
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    The Olde Boone distillery shut down around 1971 after an explosion and fire caused by a ruptured gas line. I read this in an article somewhere but can't remember exactly where. Whiskyportal.com lists the current owners as Fortune Brands and says that Jim Beam uses the warehouses at the site. I also remember reading about another fire that occurred at Old boone sometime in the 1960's that destroyed the bottling house and a finished goods warehouse.

Thomas
    Thomas, I think that particular distillery was in Larue or Nelson county. I think that location is the one Bettye Jo said is making barrels right now. There was a whole thread on that one. The one I'm talking about is in Jefferson county, and was at least still used in some fashion up to at least the early 80's.