Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Booker's question

I was wondering if the batch numbers on Booker's bourbon meant anything in regarding to the year they were bottled or barreled? For example, a bottle I have here is Batch No C99-B-22, and I was wondering if this was bottled in 1999, or perhaps being 6 years 11 months, and being a current bottle, if it was the year it was barreled?
    Thanks for any info!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

Re: Booker's question

I have saved the first bottle of Booker´s that I´ve ever bought. It is C87-D-21, 8 years, 8 months. According to your theory, then, it should hail from 1995 or 1996.

It was bought in 1998 or 1999. Your theory could hold water as it is more than possible that, due to modest bourbon sales in Sweden, the bottle could have collected dust in some Swedish liquor depot for a couple of years.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It appears to be a system similar to what they do on barrels, which is that they use letters instead of numbers for the months to avoid confusion (assuming you know the system) so Scott's bottle would be from February 22, 1999 and Hedmans would be from April 21, 1987. I have one that's B93-L-16, which would be December 16, 1993. I'm going to further theorize that the "B" stands for "Boston" and the "C" stands for "Clermont," the two Beam distilleries.

I'm offering this as a theory only. What do other people have?

I'm further theorizing that this is the barreled-on date, not the bottled-on date. But, you say, Booker's isn't single barrel. True, but as a "small batch," it probably is drawn from a batch of whiskey all made on the same day.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

I have one...signed by Booker C-92-I-15

Bettye Jo

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

I'm offering this as a theory only. What do other people have?

Connoisseur

Chuck,

How would you say this compares with the labeling on Baker's? There's an old thread around here (which I can't find right now) discussing the fact that nearly everyone's "old-label" bottling of Baker's has the batch number B-85-001. There was a comment in the thread, IIRC as told to the poster by Fred Noe, to the effect that, basically, there's no way to tell from the batch number when that batch of Baker's was made.

I have wondered, having never seen a different batch number on old-label Baker's, if there was just one "batch" produced with the old label before the new style was introduced, but that seems unlikely.

Not trying to hijack; just wondering if labeling on the small batches is at all similar across labels.

Disciple

Tboner, could that have been a bottle of Jacobs Well? All of the bottles of J.Well have the same batch # printed on them.
    Jeff Mo

That was true of Jacob's Well. It also was true of a short-lived iteration of JB black label, that had a fake batch number on it. I think they did it with OGD 114 too. I don't know for sure about Baker's, but that wouldn't surprise me. It's something Jim Beam did a couple of times.

Pretty much the giveaway is that if the batch number is printed on the main face label, it's probably fake. The Booker's number is on a small auxiliary label that also states the exact age and proof of that batch.

What got me wondering about this is that I have a bottle with Batch No C87-B-19, aged 7 years 3 months, and it got me thinking about when Booker's was first introduced. The small batch website says 1988. This particular bottle also has a number on the small label, 53836, which makes it look like a bottle number, but does not say so. Current bottlings do not have this.
    This bottle was from a box with a solid wooden front, not the clear plastic front.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

I have one from 1991 that is in an all-wood box too. Not sure when they went to the plastic front. The all-wood one is not the number I gave above. The all-wood one is on a high shelf and too much trouble to get to at the moment.

As for the other numbers, I don't know. Could be nothing, a label control number, for example.

Connoisseur

On the Baker's bottles in question, it's a separate small label. I found the old discussion. It's on page 11 of Dougdog's Dusty Corners thread. mobourbon is quoted below.

"Doug, I e-mailed Fred Noe about the age of this and he said there is no way of knowing by that batch #."

That, I guess, may answer my question, though I don't have any bottles of Baker's to look at right now for comparison.

HighTower, I've only seen one bottle in the all-wood box, and I didn't buy it because it was overpriced vs. other stores in town. However, I'll stop in to the store and look at it soon to see if there's an add'l number on the small label like you indicate. You've got me curious about this...