Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: Consolidated Statements

I was looking at this consolidation sheet again yesterday, and just can't wrap my head around the chart at the bottom. Why is the bottom right part of the chart missing?

Is it saying, for example, that from the whiskey produced in 1996 only 107,739 barrels made it to 8+ years? Even after my morning coffee, I still can't figure it out. If the bottom right part of the chart wasn't blank it would make sense to me, but I can't figure out why it is.

BTW, does anyone have any newer (or even older) statements they would be willing to post? Thanks!
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    I was looking at this consolidation sheet again yesterday, and just can't wrap my head around the chart at the bottom. Why is the bottom right part of the chart missing?

Is it saying, for example, that from the whiskey produced in 1996 only 107,739 barrels made it to 8+ years? Even after my morning coffee, I still can't figure it out. If the bottom right part of the chart wasn't blank it would make sense to me, but I can't figure out why it is.

BTW, does anyone have any newer (or even older) statements they would be willing to post? Thanks!
    What it's saying is that in 2004 all whiskey from 1996 is over 8yo.

What I find interesting is the percentages of total industry wide stock, who comes in third after Beam and Heaven Hill? Four Roses...yes Four Roses
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    What it's saying is that in 2004 all whiskey from 1996 is over 8yo.
    But if you add up all the 8+ whiskey from the 8 years on the bottom chart, it is way more than the amount of 8+ whiskey listed on the main chart.

My guess is that they want you to know that in 1996 there was 107,739 barrels of 8+ whiskey and that although some of it may be in the 2004 stock, most of it probably isn't. In other words, it seems like the 8+ column on the chart on the bottom is the same thing as the line in the main chart that says "Total each year as of December 31, 2004"

But this doesn't seem to explain the 1-7 year portion of the bottom chart.

When I look at the 1-7 year portion on the bottom chart, it makes sense to me if I look at it like this: Take for example the 1997 totals under 7 years. It lists 516795. To me that is probably what was distilled in 1997. And then as you go up the 7 year column, generally you see that number reduce. In other words, out of the 516795 barrels that were filled in 1997, the number of barrels remaining is being reduced as you go up. This also makes sense when you consider that you need 4 years to call yourself KSBW, and you can rightfully see a huge drop at the 4 year point.

The problem with looking at it like this, is that in some cases, the numbers go slightly UP in some years! I'm not sure how to explain this except for possible mis-calculations from earlier, or maybe possible bulk purchases or transfers from other states.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

I would guess something like transfers from other states as well to explain the increase in stocks.

150,000 more 6yo barrels in 2000 than there were 5yo barrels in 1999
    70,000 more 6yo barrels in 2001 than there were 5yo barrels in 2000.

The timing of these interests me, this is the same period as Dickel being shut down, could barrels have been brought into UDVs S-W facility for aging before being shipped off to wherever they are having things bottled these days?

Also of interest is B-F, with it's wildly varying numbers of barrels from any one year, could they send stuff down to age in TN at in it's JD warehouses? and bring back up for final aging? Before you say you can't , remember Early Times ain't a straight, and I'm not sure how long JD needs to age in TN to be considered TN whiskey, but heck 5 years sounds good to me if they may have been running short on space.

We would need these sheets from those two years, as well as sheets from TN and AR and IN and wherever else these companies bottle and age whiskey, to be able to draw any further conclusions.

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

A thought about the 400 barrel "batch" of Ambassador bottles from Makers made me look up this thread...

It used to be written that Makers produced 38-40 barrels a day before expansion (38 Book of Bourbon, Regan 1996; 40 The Philosophy of Maker's Mark)

The first expansion occurred in 2000, however looking at the numbers here, in 1999 MM produced 26,501 barrels (and some of those may have already been dumped for sale) this is 72 barrels a day even if they were working 365 days a year...they had doubled production by 2003 at 56,307 and in 2004 produced 179 barrels a day (working 365).

So if this is truly double production (they built an entire separate distillery beside the original), does this mean that this 38 number is really a bunch of bullshit and they were actually capable of producing 90 barrels a day?

And I believe now they have a third distillery in there too, so add in another 50% and you have 270 barrels a day...

Anyway, what brought all of this up was thinking about the 400 barrel batch, as I said. So if they aren't really set up to do batches of this size, then this batch would actually be multiple batches, but all with the same label and no identifying marks...so how the hell do I know that my bottles actually contain any of the whiskey that had been aged in the barrel with my name on it?

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Here are some Maker's numbers.

Maker's uses small, 1,000 gallon dump tanks. That's about 20 barrels per dump.

The first expansion, which doubled capacity, began in 1996. The second expansion is in progress.

Maker's sells about 800,000 cases a year. A flat case is 9 liters. If you want to calculate back from there, remember the bottled product is diluted from barrel proof.