Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked

Connoisseur

Cracked

I was drinking some FC103 and I noticed an anomaly on my bottle. Upon closer inspection and after drinking more of the bourbon (You know, so I could get a better look at it. ), I discovered that it was a crack and an interesting looking one at that.

Part of me wants to flick it and knock the piece into the bottle. haha Seriously though, am I, or will I eventually be, drinking tiny bits of glass that I canít see?
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    From the picture, I can't tell if it's a crack or an imperfection, but if it's a crack you want to decant that whiskey right away and probably strain it through a coffee filter or something. Why take chances?

Connoisseur
    That would be a crack, decant for sure
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Enthusiast
    Good advice from Chuck to be sure...

The only other option is to take it back to the store. If I pay good money I want things perfect! I reakon they would swap the bottle with no hassle, as drinking bits of glass is a legitimate cause for concern.

You like your FC (so it would seem from previous posts) so I'm sure your are regarded as a good customer.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur
    Based on previous experiences trying to return something to the liquor store I assumed that they wouldnít take it back since it wasnít sealed. So, for peace of mind, I took cowderyís advice and poured it through a coffee filter lined funnel into another, empty, FC103 bottle I had sitting on my shelf. Thanks.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur
    Chuck, (or anyone else)

Does running the whiskey through a coffee filter alter the taste or composition?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    Only if it's a used one.

sorry, couldn't help myself.

I don't think it should alter anything unless it was just a tiny portion. My thinking is that coffee filters are made from cellulose, that cellulose comes from wood, bourbon is flavored by wood, therefore it should not cause any discernable difference unless you're filtering very small quantities. A mostly full bottle shouldn't be harmed in the least.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    Only if it's a used one.

sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Sad thing is Dane, I didn't even see that joke coming.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru
    Well, it is 5:30 in the morning here......
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Aaah you beat me to it. I was going to advise emptying the old grounds out first.
    Actually, I have done this periodically when I had crumbled corks or cracked bottles and the whiskey (or wine in some instances) seemed unaffected.
    Craig