Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Nothing now!!!!!.....I'm at work!....Ohhhhhh, but wait till I get home!
    Let's see.....cigar/check, marinating steak/check, bourbon bunker/check! One or two things to "check" off, and I'll be ready!

Enthusiast
    This summer, I've been going to work on a bottle of Bookers as I got it on sale @ $56 cdn for a bottle - got two actually. Towards the end of the first bottle, I'm finding it harder and harder to drink, and have to water it down more than usual. It's good bourbon no question, but somtimes I want something a bit more honeyed. Have to look up BT products, perhaps one of the few ETL bottles left at the LCBO stores...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JStocker
    Last year, when my company 'rightsized' me out of a great job, I found good bourbon to be a luxury I could no longer afford. I was fortunate enough to find a great job, but for less money. However, I bought a bottle of Bookers with the idea I would not open it until I was back in the black, so to speak, vocationally.

Today, I am accepting a psostion with a great company and getting ready for a night of sipping what I have been craving for almost a year.

For those who have experienced it, please tease me with what it will be like to finally savor it!

Thanks!

John
    Cheers to that John! Congrats!! A very good occasion to sip!!!

As to what it's like, I've found the dominant taste is orange rind with some tannins in the background. Altogether very oaky!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    It's hot. It's muggy. It's Summer in the South. It's Weller 12....With ice.

JOE

Guru
    Ten High, neat, with a bottle of Bud as a chaser/finisher.

This is a bourbon I might never have tried, had Chuck not mentioned it somewhat favorably. I don't know that I'll ever buy another bottle, but I might. It's definitely more to my liking than Jim Beam white label.

So far the best part of the experience happened during the first few seconds after I opened the bottle (a surprisingly compact, 750 ml plastic, travel bottle). The usual array of bourbon aromas -- vanilla, caramel, oak & corn -- burst out. However, they dissapated quickly. Now a deep nosing combined with vigorous inhalation barely brings up traces of those aromas. There's nothing bad here, it's just weak. But then what should one expect for under $8?

On the palate the flavor of banana is very evident. I don't get anything else.

The banana carries through slightly to the finish, which also has a slightly bitter, or perhaps "dry", edge to it.

My interest in trying other Barton products has been piqued.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    Just poured a snifter of Wild Turkey: Rare Breed.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur
    A wonderful night, a Cuban Romeo y Julieta and a snifter of Tribute. It was indescribable.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Have not replied to this in quite a while....

Tonite was a healthy pour of Eagle Rare 17 on ice, don't ask why, I guess just because it has been hot here lately that I felt like having something on ice. It was quite enjoyable that way actually! I followed that up with some Bakers on the remaining ice (I drink fast) and it was was very good also.

After that I felt the need for "just a little bit more" so I had a swig of the bakers right from the bottle. What can I say I just moved into a new place and have no glasses or anything situated very well yet!!

I have to say I enjoy Bakers immensely.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Last night was wheat night here, Weller 107, ORWV 10 107, and PVW 15. Great night.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    After reading Christian's post last night, I decided to go with a 2004 Eagle Rare 17 tonight. It's been a while since I visited this one, and I have forgotten how very good it is. Thanks, Christian. Any more good suggestions are welcome.

JOE