Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Dickel Barrel Select

I noticed this yesterday while checking up on sime of the lastest scores(check the date of the tasting, pretty recent):

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=177578

I'm wondering if this has now gotten expanded distirbution or if I still need to visit the distillery to get it. Tim(TNbourbon) had posted a picture a while back and noted that there is(was) a liquor store that sold it(Any idea if they have more, Tim?).

Anyway, it got a higher score than the Dickel #12, so there's something going on there that may be worth searching out.

Never been to Dickel(or that other place in TN) spring break's coming up, might be time for a visit.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

It's in a lot of Middle Tennessee liquor stores now. I suspect that 'single' liquor store deal -- the retail outlet in Tullahoma from which the Dickel gift shop purchases what it resells -- got the distributor in hot water. It's against the rules for a distributor to offer an item to a single retailer without making it available to all his retailers (based, of course, on availability of product). Once the distributor 'let the cat out of the bag', so to speak, he had no choice but to place in any store that wanted it. I've seen it stacked double-faced to the back of shelves in some store in the Dickel Distillery area.
    Dickel#1.JPG

The neck tag states "Limited No. 1 Edition", but it doesn't seem too limited around here. The bottle notes that it's 'specially double distilled', but who knows if that refers to a second pass through the still, or just the use of a 'doubler'?
    Tim

Guru
    Tim,
    Alas I remember it well. Seems me and Fricky were with you when you got it. What a memory!!!
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Question

Pardon the slight shift in the subject, but how common is the BHC bottle of George Dickel Special Reserve these days. I found one over the weekend for around $30 still in the blue box. This is the first one I have come across in quite a while. Just wondering/curious.

Also, how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).
    Last edited by ProofPositive; 04-17-2006 at 23:15.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive
    ...how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).
    Neither is a single-barrel.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    While I have never had the BS, and I can't find my print out of some old tasting scores I used to have for BHC (that's if scores actually mean anything), it seems like they acheived similar scores, so they should both be considered what is probably the best of what TN has to offer. If I can manage some on my way to Atlanta this weekend, there should be a mini-comparo in the works...though with my current open bottle situation (too many) and the fact that I'm going to Europe for the summer, it may have to wait for a while
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus
    I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.
    This is definitely one of the whiskeys I lock forward must to taste when in Kentucky and Tennessee in September.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Neither is a single-barrel.
    Thanks Tim.

You are correct.....my error. I was sipping some single barrel KY Spirit while composing. My taste buds invaded my brain.

Anyhow, I plan to sample both DBS and GDSR in the near future. Being a devoted J.D. Blackshirt for many a year, even thinking about G.D. was considered heresy in my book. After I left Tennessee Whiskey behind for the real stuff I now enjoy, I am very hesitant to try any again. But maybe G.D. would be worth a try. The vast majority of comments on the Forum seem to indicate a much more favorable response to G.D. than J.D. So, maybe I'll give it a run when I have a few extra dollars in my pocket.

Thanks again for the correction.
    "All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me".....Winston Churchill

Novice
    What should one expect to pay for either of these two "special" Dickels? Be it, retail or current market?