Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Next Bourbon to try ?

Hi all,
    I am fairly new to bourbons and in need of advise. I have found Buffalo Trace to be my favorite entry level sipper and mixer. I also really enjoy Four Roses Single Barrel and think it is outstanding. Elijah Craig 12 to also be very nice and price friendly. I am mainly a single malt guy, but I am trying to broaden my palate. Is there another bourbon in the small batch range/group that I should try? I don't want to have a several bottles that I wont drink and the bars is not an option for tasting. The few bourbon friends that I have drink out of the big plastic jugs so they wont be of any help.
    I was thinking maybe the Eagle Rare or Woodford Reserve might be worth a go, but I really know nothing about them.
    Thanks in advance.

Enthusiast

Re: Next Bourbon to try ?

If you're willing to try a Beam product, my recommendation would be Knob Creek Small Batch ($30 here). If you can spend ten more dollars, try Knob Creek Single Barrel ($40 here). Both of those prices are for 750 ml bottles. Your expenditure may vary depending on location.
    Last edited by ToEOrNotToE; 05-05-2015 at 17:40.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Disciple

Darwin, I'd recommend you visit the bourbon of the month thread. You'll find a treasure trove of expert opinion(s) about just about anything you'll ever find on a liquor store shelf (as well as many others you'll probably won't ever see).

Try a Baker's, a Blanton's and since you enjoyed the Elijah Craig. Try their barrel proof if you can find it. Most of all....enjoy it.

Enthusiast

I haven't had ER or WR in a while but I enjoyed them both. Another in that price range that I had recently and enjoyed was Ridgemont Reserve 1792. The BOTM forum is a good suggestion. I have tons on my shelf to try but so far I have found I enjoy the $20 - $30 BIB and Small Batch stuff as much as any of the $40 - $60 stuff I have tried.

Edit: Russell's Reserve SmB is another good one in that 30 - 40 range and easy to find around me.

Advanced Taster

I'll second the Beam suggestion. Beam Black 8 yr., OGD 114, or Knob Creek- they're all a bit different. If you want something woodier, Wild Turkey 101 is solid.
    What do you look for in bourbon?

Apprentice

Based on what you like so far I think the ER10 or FRSmB would be good choices. Any of the Weller line you can find (Special Reserve, Antique or 12) are also good ones to branch off to.

Virtuoso

Here are a few I'd recommend...
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed (not cheap, but quite nice)
    Henry McKenna 10-year, SB, BIB (not badly priced for a 10-yr, BIB)
    Old Forester Signature (also not badly priced for 100-proof)

I'm not sure where the OP Darwin is from but I would recommend looking for as many bottled in bond selections as he can find. OGDBIB, EWBIB, JBBIB, are three that come to mind.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
    I'll second the Beam suggestion. Beam Black 8 yr., OGD 114, or Knob Creek- they're all a bit different. If you want something woodier, Wild Turkey 101 is solid.
    What do you look for in bourbon?
    OGD114 FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Here are a few I'd recommend...
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed (not cheap, but quite nice)
    Henry McKenna 10-year, SB, BIB (not badly priced for a 10-yr, BIB)
    Old Forester Signature (also not badly priced for 100-proof)
    I saw this for the first time tonight and meant to grab one but forgot once my arms were full from all the other stuff I grabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    I'm not sure where the OP Darwin is from but I would recommend looking for as many bottled in bond selections as he can find. OGDBIB, EWBIB, JBBIB, are three that come to mind.
    excellent advice.