Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Eagle Rare from Mashbill #2

Thought this was interesting. Over in the, oddly grating, bourbon subreddit a shop owner was sharing some pictures of his first barrel purchase and in the usual fawning someone noticed it was stamped "Mashbill 2", which isn't the usual one for Eagle Rare. http://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comm...career/cre82df

He asked BT and this is the response he got:

"Yes, typically Eagle Rare is assigned to Rye Mash Bourbon #1 but given the relative similarity of the two recipes we sometimes come across barrels made using Rye Mash Bourbon #2 that match the taste profile of Eagle Rare perfectly as was the case with this barrel selection."

I know they're pretty close ratios for both their mashbills but this surprised me, figured that extra 5% of rye would make enough difference that the profiles would never overlap, but I guess stranger things have happened. I've never been very big on the expressions from mashbill #1, outside of Stagg/Stagg JR they've always been over-oaked to me, but maybe that all comes down to barrel selection and aging more than ingredients.
    Last edited by ramblinman; 05-20-2015 at 06:56.

Connoisseur

Re: Eagle Rare from Mashbill #2

I've had a store pick of BT that tasted an awful lot like ETL, so it makes sense to me.
    Andrew

Connoisseur

I sometimes wonder how many of us can actually recognize the relative contribution of rye to the taste of bourbon. Comments on SB suggest that some bourbons make a "high-rye" impression even though they are not. I seem to recall Jim Rutledge saying that the spiciness we associate with rye might actually be the effect of the yeast. When BT set up their experimental collection, tasters responding to the survey sometimes detected "rye spice" in wheated bourbon.
    So, SBers, how confident are you in your ability to gauge the rye content when tasting blind?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    I sometimes wonder how many of us can actually recognize the relative contribution of rye to the taste of bourbon. Comments on SB suggest that some bourbons make a "high-rye" impression even though they are not. I seem to recall Jim Rutledge saying that the spiciness we associate with rye might actually be the effect of the yeast. When BT set up their experimental collection, tasters responding to the survey sometimes detected "rye spice" in wheated bourbon.
    So, SBers, how confident are you in your ability to gauge the rye content when tasting blind?
    Don't forget that a rye forward profile can be made by taking a different cut during distillation. I believe that K&L interview with a Canadian distiller someone posted awhile back on here mentioned that.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Good point. The first time I tasted Old Weller Antique I was surprised that a wheated bourbon would have as much spiciness as it did.

Virtuoso

I find this exceedingly strange.
    Don't the barrels get that stamp upon their end before they go into the rickhouse for aging?
    If that assumption is correct, then how would the folx at BT know, so many years in advance, that this particular barrel would defy the odds and wind up in the profile of ER???
    ANYONE WHO KNOWS... If my original assumption is incorrect, please correct my misconception.

Guru

I also find this to be exceedingly strange.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I took it to mean that when tasting the barrels after aging, they realized they had something closer to ER10 on their hands than Blantons (or whatever.)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    I took it to mean that when tasting the barrels after aging, they realized they had something closer to ER10 on their hands than Blantons (or whatever.)
    Yea, but that is what used to be AAA 10 yr. Guess you can sell it for a lot more labeled as ER10.

Taster

Not confident at all.
    I've grown wary of the rye=spiciness mantra. Even in ryes. For the life of me I don't get spicy from HWRR or Saz.
    That being said, I find my palate generally untrustworthy.

The first time I tasted Old Weller Antique I was surprised that a wheated bourbon would have as much spiciness as it did.
    I think the same thing each time I drink it. I've given it blind to people (both experienced and unexperienced) and they have never guessed it was wheated (or, if unexperienced, it was not described as "smooth and sweet" that everyone claims wheated bourbon to be)
    Robert Parker on Blanton's: "... this is either a brilliant master blend or a bourbon with some serious age. "