Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: Bourbon in the Movies

Blantons keeps popping up in the new HBO show Bored to Death. It is in Ted Danson's pad on his liquor cart.

Connoisseur

When the fog on the road gets too thick the crew and models pull over, barge into an empty house, and start drinking the owners tax stripped bottle of JB White, in Entrails of a Virgin. Little do they know this is the last bourbon they'll ever have!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    When the fog on the road gets too thick the crew and models pull over, barge into an empty house, and start drinking the owners tax stripped bottle of JB White, in Entrails of a Virgin. Little do they know this is the last bourbon they'll ever have!
    Oh the humanity!! It always ends this way!!
    ovh

Connoisseur

I don't know, that is how it ended but perhaps it could have been avoided, maybe if they'd offered the monster a drink, especially after hitting him with their car and all, he might have been less misanthropic... Then again, it was JB White... :]
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Disciple

I went to see a very cool Chicago band last night, Califone . . . the first majority of the show consisted of a screeing of the singer's film, "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" with the band providing a live soundtrack. One scene had a very prominently displayed Lot B bottle in extreme close-up for quite a while -- those Califone dudes know their whiskey.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

Watching an older "Foyles War" (British detective during the war) episode last night and an American Colonel gifted DCS Foyle with a tax stamped bottle of Old Fitzgerald BiB - his son commented later as he tasted it "what's this then?" ...."American Whiskey" Foyle replied - he didn't say Bourbon.

I only got a quick look but the label and bottle seemed accurate for the period. The show is usually very accurately propped.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I went to see a very cool Chicago band last night, Califone . . . the first majority of the show consisted of a screeing of the singer's film, "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" with the band providing a live soundtrack. One scene had a very prominently displayed Lot B bottle in extreme close-up for quite a while -- those Califone dudes know their whiskey.
    I've heard of these guys, they are great! Band of Horses has them as a friend or something somewhere i read and went to their M-space link before. Very laid back and thought provoking music.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Connoisseur

Walter Mancini, Franco Nero's character in Hitch-Hike, is seen drinking from a small bottle of Jim Beam with a tax strip while his wife Eve drives the car. Eve: "That's what's giving you the headache." Walter: "No honey, YOU give me the headache!" Adam, the hitchhiker played by David Hess, helps himself to some shortly after pulling his gun. A little later in the movie there are a few bottles of Four Roses Bourbon with tax strips in the background when they stop to get more whiskey at the gas station, even though she was told to buy scotch Eve buys 2 of them and no one seems to mind as they are seen drinking it without complaint for most of the movie.
    /\../\

Apprentice

[hope I didn't pass this up]
    While it isn't a movie, the HBO series Deadwood had Basil Hayden's in several episodes.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by keng View Post
    [hope I didn't pass this up]
    While it isn't a movie, the HBO series Deadwood had Basil Hayden's in several episodes.
    In last week's episode, Calamity Jane was drinking a bottle of Old McBrayer Bourbon. Problem was, the bottom of the label had "Bottled In Bond" in bold red letters that were impossible to miss.

Can somebody say "goof?"

I've never had Basil Hayden's before, but I'm trying to find a bottle of it close by where I live. I remember the episode when Francis Wolcott was hit over the head with a bottle of the stuff. How is it? Is it worth the $40?