Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Bourbon in the Movies

Maker's Mark on the Mythbusters TV show. Episode about a blind man driving an intoxicated friend home (apparently, recreating a story from Europe).

Jamie Hyneman, playing the role of the intoxicated friend, puts a pretty good dent in a bottle of Maker's Mark. The label is covered, but there is no mistaking the bottle. You can see it 15 seconds into the first YouTube clip below. The second clip shows the experiment/results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6fM...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPzaB2R_jY
    Last edited by rmallen; 07-21-2010 at 19:02.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That reminds me of something that happened a few years ago, before Booker Noe died. Booker and Fred were guests on Emeril Live (in the audience) and they had a nice little display set up with Bookers and Jim Beam, and Emeril did a lot of cooking with bourbon, but he used Maker's Mark. This was before Beam owned Maker's and they covered the label but it was the same deal. The bottle is unmistakable.

People like to say "it's just marketing," as a throw-away, but there is marketing and there is brilliant marketing. The Maker's brand is so strong that you don't need the name. The red wax does it, the bottle shape does it. Half of the name does it (Maker's 46).

Bill Samuels and his parents deserve a lot of the credit. So does Sam Cecil. So does Louisville advertising agency Doe Anderson.

Guru

Watched the DVD of A Single Man last night. (IMO, noy very good.)

The movie takes place in 1962 (the Cuban Missile crisis can be heard playing in the background). Yet , in one scene, there is a botlle of Blanton's clearly visible.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post

The movie takes place in 1962

(the Cuban Missile crisis can be heard playing in the background).

Yet , in one scene, there is a botlle of Blanton's clearly visible.
    The CIA can do anything, even bring future produts to the present time.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

The movie takes place in 1962 (the Cuban Missile crisis can be heard playing in the background). Yet , in one scene, there is a botlle of Blanton's clearly visible.
    We watched that a couple nights ago, but I missed the bottle. Actually Heather just reminded me that we thought he was pouring scotch. Anyway, I thought it was one of the better movies I'd seen in awhile, but I'm a big fan of camera effects (vs. special effects).

Another good one with a similar name and set in the same decade is A Serious Man, the latest Cohen bros. out on DVD. No bourbon scenes that I can remember though, unfortunately.

Guru

I can't think of any specific instances but I always keep an eye out for missing tax strips on bottles in TV programs or movies set in the past. TV shows are much worse in this regard than movies.

Virtuoso

My wife is becoming accustomed to me stopping any movie where it looks like someone has a bottle of whiskey in a scene.
    The latest movie was on tv and couldn't pause that one but it looks like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump drinks some Old Heaven Hill in a a few scenes.
    One in the back of church during a service and another on the shrimpin' boat.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    in an episode of Treme, a japanese guy orders Sazerac in one of the main character's bar. and she apologizes and says they dont have anything that fancy.
    Sazerac also makes an appearance in the film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    My wife is becoming accustomed to me stopping any movie where it looks like someone has a bottle of whiskey in a scene.
    The latest movie was on tv and couldn't pause that one but it looks like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump drinks some Old Heaven Hill in a a few scenes.
    One in the back of church during a service and another on the shrimpin' boat.
    OK, cool, I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    The latest movie was on tv and couldn't pause that one but it looks like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump drinks some Old Heaven Hill in a a few scenes. One in the back of church during a service and another on the shrimpin' boat.
    If you cannot pause live TV, you need to get a DVR and join us in the 21st century. Of course, I say this as someone who still has neither an MP3 player nor a navigation device.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.