Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon in the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Pretty nice rye list on the carmenjello episode, The League season 3. If my local bar had pours of VWFRR for $13, I'd be there every night!
    I'm guessing the set dressing crew (or some other crew maybe) was showing both their taste and a little wishful thinking...
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:42.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Is it one of those "more money than sense" type of characters?
    Exactly.

He's dead now --- f*cker got what he deserved.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:42.

Enthusiast

Bourbon in the Movies

Several bottles of CEHT washed ashore on tonight's episode of Boardwalk Empire

Advanced Taster

So I'm not sure how many of you watch Boardwalk Empire but since it's a show about bootlegging I was sure some brands would start showing up and sure enough this season is chalk full of them. This weeks episode there was a boat that wrecked and bottles upon bottles of the original Old Taylor labeled bourbon were washing up on the shore in Atlantic City.

And three weeks ago the episode included one Andrew Mellon who obtained the rights to the Old Overholt brand from his friend Henry Clay Frick of Carnegie Steel fame. The episode shows Nucky Thompson making a deal with Mellon to get his Overholt distillery up and running again making illegal whiskey in return for not indicting Nucky for violating the Volsted Act. So interesting the story they created which I'm sure doesn't hold much truth considering Mellon gave the rights to two million gallons of OO to Union Trust who sold it medicinally when Mellon became Secretary of the Treasury. Still pretty cool nonetheless
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Also in the world of HBO, Nawlin's finest chef Janette Desautel enjoyed some Pappy 15+ (couldn't make out the detail) in this past Sunday's episode of Treme. Not the first time this season it's appeared, and no real surprise since the show has ties to the world of the very Van Winkle-friendly Lucky Peach.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

This isn't a bourbon but it is American.
    Watched The Magic of Belle Isle the other night and Morgan Freeman's characters nephew got him a bottle of Stranahans Colorado Whiskey. A little later in the film Morgan was in a store and asked the clerk for his finest sour mash whiskey and the guy gave him another SCW the cost was $37.42 for the whiskey and a box of groceries. I saw a bottle the other day for $80 +. Later on he was back in the store and he picked up a case with Stranahans on the side of the box. Good advertising for them I guess. Film wasn't bad in a feel good kind of way.

Paul
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:43.

Connoisseur

I really haven't been seeing bourbon in any of my movies but that finally changed today when I spotted Angeline taking a few swigs from a bottle of Maker's Mark on her brother's "wedding night" in the movie Triloquist. The same bottle is seen in a later seen beside a bottle of Jack Daniels and some kind of scotch.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:44.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

We went to see "Lincoln" yesterday.
    There were a lot of bottles with what looked like bourbon in them.
    One bottle looked like today's Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit bottle with no labels, it wasn't but it was similar.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:45.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Saw The Comedy starring Tim Heidecker (of Tim & Eric fame) tonight. In an early scene, the main character is drinking Lot B neat out of a glass while making fun of the nurse taking care of his ill father.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:45.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Was just watching "Employees' Entrance" on TMC. Released in 1933, and starring Warren William and the dreamy Loretta Young. Right near the end of the movie, the tyrant department store manager Kurt Anderson (Williams), and the store floozie Polly (Alice White) are planning to run off to Europe ahead of Williams' demise at the store. On his desk is a pint of Old Taylor, which they are drinking heavily from, and planning their future together. The interesting thing about it was that the bottle was right in the middle of the desk, and pointing straight at the camera. Almost, as if they wanted it to be seen in all it's glory. But, the film itself was filmed in 1932, during Prohibition. Making a statement when they knew the nightmare of Prohibition would soon be over?

BTW, this was a pretty racy movie, considering the era. TMC's Robert Osborne explained in the film intro that it would be so, because many of the restrictions on what a movie could show and depict didn't come around until 2 years later. Looks like we went from one "Prohibition" to another "Prohibition" at that time...

Double-BTW, TMC is a treasure...I'm not a film guy in the least. Actually, I hardly watch TV at all, and haven't been in a theater in 20+ years. But, these old movies can be cool, and I appreciate TMC for showing them, and giving some insight and history about them, the actors, directors, the era, etc.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 01-24-2013 at 09:46.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama