Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 64 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon in the Movies

I note that you did not specifically disallow Bastille.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Speaking of "crappy whiskey" why do so many men of power in movies drink less desirable brands? I keep going back to Robert De Niro in Analyze This. He's supposed to be this big shot mafioso who lives the good life and he's always drinking J&B blended scotch. With all the detail they go into in set design (there are no small decisions in movie making) you'd think there would be a drink that is congruous to the stature of the character. Then again, maybe De Niro really loves J&B.

When they inevitably produce the biopic of my significant and influential life please don't let someone say "he liked bourbon, right? Just throw some Jim Beam in the frame."
    Product placement, which has little to do with maintaining the integrity of the character. Since the majority of people watching the movie don't pay attention to what level of liquor the character is drinking, the studio throws in whoever wrote them the biggest check.

Guru

I was going to post what Miller said. Truth is advertizing dollars are responsible for all the labels facing the camera, down to the smallest detail.

Advanced Taster

Not a movie but I just saw a bottle of vintage 17 and a bottle of pappy in the series finale of The Office.

Enthusiast

Terribly depressing movie, but Tim Heidecker drinks Lot B almost all the way through The Comedy.

Guru

My life's too short to sit through any movie that doesn't entertain me.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    Product placement, which has little to do with maintaining the integrity of the character. Since the majority of people watching the movie don't pay attention to what level of liquor the character is drinking, the studio throws in whoever wrote them the biggest check.
    This is why Bond drinks Smirnoff.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Guru

Bourbon in the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by JLH3 View Post
    This is why Bond drinks Smirnoff.
    The original (fictional) James Bond drank Talisker.

[EDIT: and with that gentlemen, I've reached the Devil's Post marker]
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 05-17-2013 at 00:08.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

i'm a huge bond nerd. fleming's bond in most of his novels was a whisk(e)y drinker, bourbon in particular. some site a few years back actually compiled a list of all the drinks bond ordered/drank in fleming's original books. ian fleming, himself though, drank bourbon and gin...hell, the first chapter in Goldfinger is titled "Reflections in a Double Bourbon"
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Guru

Bourbon in the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by omgmarclol View Post
    i'm a huge bond nerd. fleming's bond in most of his novels was a whisk(e)y drinker, bourbon in particular. some site a few years back actually compiled a list of all the drinks bond ordered/drank in fleming's original books. ian fleming, himself though, drank bourbon and gin...hell, the first chapter in Goldfinger is titled "Reflections in a Double Bourbon"
    It appears that my Devil's post is just a rehash of myth and thanks for correcting the misinformation.

I found this old archived site that lists Bond's drinks by novel and movie:

http://web.archive.org/web/200608082...cmartinis.com/
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof