Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Anyone else like Sambuca?...

For a change of pace, every now and again, I enjoy a nice Sambuca on the rocks, or a peppermint schnapps. Kinda goes against what we enjoy here. It's almost like a treat? A dessert? Like a sweet candy? Anyone else enjoy a pour of these?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I occasionally enjoy Butterscotch Schnapps over ice, or a baileys over ice, or both mixed together over ice (mixed in a shot glass they are a popular 'shot' drinks known as CS Cowboy in Australia....not sure about other countries)

Otherwise, I have two favourite 'alternative' drinks to bourbon at the moment....both with a common theme -
    The first is Butterscotch Scnapps infused with Chillis and a sprig of rosemary. It's very sweet with a real chilli flavour and burn.
    The second is a Chilli Wine made only from chilli at Disaster Bay Chillis in Australia. It's something that has to be tasted to be believed
    There's some great tasting notes for the chilli wine here -
    https://www.nicks.com.au/ProductDeta...roductId=10639
    or on the Disaster Bay web site:
    www.disasterbaychillies.com

Advanced Taster
    Peppermint schnapps, kept in the freezer, may be the most refreshing beverage around after mowing the lawn on a hot, North Carolina day. Still homesick, yet loving California,
    -Sam

Guru
    I have a bottle of Sambucca, but I got it because I couldn't find any pastis and I needed the anise flavor for my false Sazerac cocktails. Its pretty good, but I still want some Pernod.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I enjoy a nice Sambuca on the rocks...Anyone else enjoy a pour of these?
    Rarely. But after Italian food when I'm letting my money flow at a restaurant I do enjoy Sambuca.... with coffee beans and all.

Lately, I've also enjoyed some coffee liqueur that is actually beer based. A friend of mine got it for his bar where they only have a license to sell beer and wine, not spirits. He got a case and is still on the first bottle so I've taken a few bottles off of his hands. Anyway, it is tasty on occaission.
    Greg Kitzmiller

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Tim, check out the arrack cocktails and punches in Jerry Thomas' 1862 text and you will have plenty use for that Sambucca. I enjoy it on occasion, but to me it is precisely no more or less than any other anise spirit of the Mediterranean basin. Whether French Pernod, Anice (an Italian version), arrack/arak from any Arab country, raki from Turkey, or call it what you will, these all partake of a similar tradition and will vary essentially only in their degree of sweetness (which can be adjusted easily to taste). A Sazerac made with Sambucca is not a false Sazerac.

gary

Guru
    Thanks, Gary. You told me that, before, but I guess I'm having a hard time getting it through my thick skull.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    It is just an opinion, of course. I find more and more as time goes by I am getting a taste for such drinks. I didn't use to like them but slowly I am becoming accustomed. I still like them mostly as a light accent, e.g. in the Sazerac.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-17-2006 at 18:34.

Connoisseur
    I've liked Sambuca for years. Partial to the Black versions myself but not the cheap stuff.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur
    I"m italian, we have to like sambuca, but my favorite is putting a little buca in my coffee. That is a great drink.