Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Blue Collar whiskey

Seems that a lot around here move toward the more high end bourbons. But what is your "blue collar" bourbon? Something that is not terribly expensive, but not terrible in itself either. Good ol' Jim Beam white does it for me. Although I picked up a bottle of Old Crow, and it really wasn't all THAT bad. Granted the flavor did not have much of a snap to it, but on ice on the back porch on a 90 degree night, it really wasn't that objectionable.

Enthusiast
    My favorite in that category is Old Overholt Rye, which is not actually a bourbon but I think it fits your criteria.

Enthusiast
    I like Elijah Craig 12 year.

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire
    I like Elijah Craig 12 year.
    This is damn good "Blue Collar" bourbon! Mind you, here in Canada its not $15 a bottle....

Connoisseur
    My Blue collar/work horse bourbons are:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    Virginia Gentleman 90 $15
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Novice
    Around here many of the whiskies listed either don't fall in the budget (<$15) catagory (EC12, Buf Trace, JB Black, WT101, ETL) or don't seem to be available locally (VOB, Rittenhouse, AAA 10yr, EW 1783).

That said I haven't really found any bottom shelf bourbons which I really consider a bargain. The stuff that's available for just a couple of dollars more is, to me, so much better. A couple of budget bourbons worth mentioning though:
    • Evan Williams Black Label ~$11 - As close as it gets. An enjoyable bourbon, just falls a bit short of the ~$17 bourbons.
    • Rebel Yell ~$12 - Unique as a bottom shelf bourbon as it's fairly smooth yet still has a lot character & flavor. This one was a favorite of mine when I could get it for $6.99 / 750ml at Trader Joes in California. But here at $12 bottle isn't as interesting.
    Now when you lift the price threshold to $18 there are a bunch of excellent bourbons covering a variety styles:
    • JB Black
    • Weller 12yr
    • WT 101
    • Old Charter 10yr (haven't tried the 12yr yet)
    I actually prefer these to most of the $20-$25 bourbons that I've tried including BT, EC12, WT Russell Reserve, OGD114.

Enthusiast

Re: Blue Collar whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip View Post
    This is damn good "Blue Collar" bourbon! Mind you, here in Canada its not $15 a bottle....
    Your in Canada are any Bourbons < $15.00?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire View Post
    Your in Canada are any Bourbons < $15.00?
    In Ontario, the cheapest bourbon is about $23 (JBW).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    In Ontario, the cheapest bourbon is about $23 (JBW).
    I don't care if you are Canadian.....$23 bucks for JBW is un-american!!

Guru

I believe 15 dollars was the upper limit for a fifth. There aren't many bourbons in my area that are both that cheep and in my opinion fit for drinkin' neat. EW black, Weller Antique (only one retailer), Dickle no.8 (not a bourbon I know) and perhaps OGD 86 and Old forester 86 if on sale. I'll have to check prices of those last two next time I'm out and about.

I tend to have expensive tastes, my Dad always says I have champaign tastes and a beer budget. But to me nothing is more blue collar than WT 101, not too expensive at 17.99-18.99 a fifth, most decently stocked watering holes carry it; even out here in the pucker-brush, good enough to drink neat but not to expensive to let someone use as a mixer.