Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Blue Collar whiskey

Marc,

When I was in SoCal, I finally resorted to ordering Buffalo Trace from Binny's. To the best of my knowledge it was not and is not available on the shelves in your area.

In regard to the qualities, "harsh, dirty and yeasty", I just can't take that assessment seriously unless the bottle was defective. (However, I have noticed those qualities in a few posts the last few days.)

I found Buffalo Trace to be on the sweet side, perhaps a little too much so, depending upon the drinker's mood. I once described it as "more like dessert than appetizer".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

Yeah what Dave said.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    (However, I have noticed those qualities in a few posts the last few days.)

Sriously though, BT is a top notch pour for me. I don't find any of the attributes of which you are speaking. I find it quite pleasent, well mannered and sweet. Not as much so as ETL (another one of my standby's), but still quite sweet. Perhaps you got a bum bottle?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

When during the KBF Taste-off we were allowed to try a pair of products that were identical in every way except one of each group was chill-filtered and one wasn't, I thought that the chill-filtered one tasted like it had been cleaned and polished, whereas the non-chill-filtered product had a slightly more dirty taste that hinted at more to be unearthed flavor-wise. I preferred the dirty one.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

I think Evan Williams black fits the criteria. I just picked up a liter here in NY for $12. The 1.75L is $20 locally.

Eric

I wish I could find some of the prices mentioned by others. Bourbon must be steep in Ohio. Ancient Age is okay, a very one-dimensional bourbon, but Ancient Ancient Age is good. Ezra Brooks is good, I think the standard 3 yr/86 proof is better than Old Ezra (7 yr/ 101 proof). Old Grand Dad is good, but in Ohio OGD is at the top of the price range. Ten High is one I do not like, it is simply too sweet and the nose is awful; Ten High is okay for cooking, not for drinking. If Wild Turkey is in the price range in your state that's great, but here in Ohio it is a couple of dollars out of range. No one has mentioned Jim Beam Green, here it sells for almost the same price as White but I haven't yet tried it, any thoughts?

Enthusiast

There's a liquor store nearby that sells Dickel No. 12 for $14.99 and Heaven Hill 10YO 86 proof for $7.49. That's his 'n hers bottles of quality, higher proof whiskey for less than 23 bucks! (I help her with hers)

- Kurt

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I grew up in Ohio and, as a control state (the state is the sole distributor and controls retail prices), it is plagued by poor selection and high prices. The best solution is a visit to its convival southern neighbor.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire View Post
    Your in Canada are any Bourbons < $15.00?
    In Ontario, the cheapest bourbon is about $23 (JBW).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    In Ontario, the cheapest bourbon is about $23 (JBW).
    I don't care if you are Canadian.....$23 bucks for JBW is un-american!!