Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

What bourbon did you purchase today?

me? I picked up....

Henry McKenna SB BIB (yea, been looking for this one!)
    Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101
    Wild Turkey 101 (x2)
    George Dickel #8

and a Laphroaig 15 yr
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Connoisseur
    I was able to track down two bottles of WT Russell's Reserve 101. Yay!!!!!
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    and a Laphroaig 15 yr
    Hey Greg, how is that 15?? I love the 10. Have a 10 cask strength que'd up but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

As for me, finally got an EW '96.... Very tasty!

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Disciple
    Today, I got my first Blanton's Straight from the Barrel from barrel 244 at 134.8 proof, a Blanton's Silver, an AAA 10 year old, my first Elmer T Lee with the foil top, and a bottle of Old Crow (Beam) for the Blue Collar American Whiskey thread. You can see that I like Bufalo Trace bourbons! I passed on a Russell's Reserve 101 and a Four Roses SB 86 proof.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    ... I passed on a Russell's Reserve 101 ...Ed
    Really? I wouldn't have! Was it expensive?? I have 7-8 of those bunked and HOPE to make them last a few years. I miss being able to buy that one around here (though RB and KS ease my pain signifigantly )

Cheers!

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee
    Really? I wouldn't have! Was it expensive?? I have 7-8 of those bunked and HOPE to make them last a few years. I miss being able to buy that one around here (though RB and KS ease my pain signifigantly )

Cheers!

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    It was a little more than the RB I saw. I like Russell's Reserve 101, but I think I prefer the RB. I have the WT 101 8 year old here, too. If I want to spend a little more I can get the WT 12 yo, too. I often get that at my favorite bar. I might go back for it next month if it is still there. I spent too much money today...
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple
    Hey Greg, how is that 15?? I love the 10. Have a 10 cask strength que'd up but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Ken
    I have all three of those. I love the standard 10 yo. Great bargain, too. I was initially disappointed in the 15, it was subdued compared to the 10. I came around and really like it. I haven't visited that bottle for a while. It is pricy compared to the 10 so I may not replace it soon. I don't want to run out of it, so I don't drink it. Not logical, I know.

Pull the trigger on that CS! I love mine. I haven't done a head to head with the standard 10 but I think I like the CS much more. I will replace that one I think.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    Pull the trigger on that CS! I love mine. I haven't done a head to head with the standard 10 but I think I like the CS much more. I will replace that one I think.
    Ed
    As I'd expected on the 15. Had a chance to try the 30 when I was in Scotland last year.... It had lost too much of that killer peat flavor I love in the 10... I see it's appeal but it's not what I want from this Monster! Kinda like buying a thoroughbred and making sure he's totally broken. I will crack open the CS and do a head to head sometime this week.

Ken

Connoisseur
    The Quarter Cask is really nice as well. A little bit 'friendlier' if you know what I mean but very Laphroaig all the same.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Ken
    Ken, I opened the 15 last night. I'm really new to SMSW so I don't know how much I can tell you. I've also got an Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail opened. I really liked the La. 15, didn't seem as bold as the Ardbegs, but very good, in my opinion. Maybe a bit less peaty/smokey than the Ards but overall a great pour.

I think I'll pick up the La. 10 as well, it sounds like a great SMSW for the price point.

now i just have to learn all the SMSW bottlings to know when i see a rare/hard to find release. Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski