Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    I think I'll pick up the La. 10 as well, it sounds like a great SMSW for the price point.
    It is, Greg. I'd recommend it for anyone who really likes that smoky, peaty style. Laphroaig 10 is my go to Scotch. It is the sea.... Rough, wild, stormy... Nice! If I have a couple I'll still taste the salt on my lips in the morning...

My alternate is Lagavulin 16 when I want something a little more "civilized" though that role is typically filled by Maker's or Forty Creek (for MUCH less $). I've tried several good Scotchs but those two are the only two I seem to replace. Tried a lot of things I've never seen here when we were in Scotland. I was so happy none of them "measured up"!

And you are right, for some reason Laphroaig 10 is pretty reasonably priced for a Scotch. I keep waiting for them to change that!
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Guru
    Stopped by a new (to me) liquor store about twenty miles from here. Found a bottle of BMH 14 marked down to $20 and also got a bottle of EW SB 95.

On the way home some jerk in a pick-up truck suddenly cut in front on me (almost no one uses directional signals around here) and I had to brake hard to avoid a collision. I heard a loud clank from the bag on the seat next to me. When I got home a few minutes later I found the BMH broken. (Fortunately the plastic bag kept most of it off my leather seats.)

Now I'm using the EW to drown my sorrows....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    (Fortunately the plastic bag kept most of it off my leather seats.)
    Got a sieve handy? I know some guys that used to work loading some whiskey on rail cars in Bardstown. Anyone famliar with the area knows the tracks don't go to any of the distilleries that are operating there. This was all done on the railroad siding out where Hwy245 goes thru the rock quarry, more or less. He said often when they got thristy they would smack a case with a hammer and hold a cup at the corner of the box and let the precious juice drain into a cup. Might get a little glue flavor in the finish is all!
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Smile

Just go back from a business trip to Tennessee. Picked up a BT, 2 Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve (Louisville-slope shoulder bottles), Pritchard's Double Barreled, and a Rittenhouse BIB. Joey gonna be happy for awhile...

JOE

Enthusiast
    As some know, I am a huge fan of "all" the WT products (especially RB & KS), "except" for Russell's Reserve! I have tried 2 bottles of this pour, and can't make it work at all. I even tried mixing a portion of the last bottle with a Ginger Ale, and still nothing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one is very displeasing to me.

Guru

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood
    As some know, I am a huge fan of "all" the WT products (especially RB & KS), "except" for Russell's Reserve! I have tried 2 bottles of this pour, and can't make it work at all. I even tried mixing a portion of the last bottle with a Ginger Ale, and still nothing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one is very displeasing to me.
    To me, it has a reminiscence of freshly turned dirt, but I can get by it and still enjoy it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Interesting. I think RR (the 100 or 90) is still very clearly a typical WT palate. The 100 was out there. The 90 is more restrained. But they both have the trademark "woodiness" of all WTs. I have noticed it in Tribute and Kentucky Spirit too albeit some of that character is hidden in the richness.

In my view, the 03 batch of Rare Breed is the best of all the WTs. By deft blending of straight barrel bourbons of different ages it gets a more complex, satisfying character than any of the others.

Of the best bourbons I've had in the last two years I rate Rare Breed, Stagg Fall '05 and the current McKenna Single Barrel at the top. Also, Elmer T. Lee.

These are the best all-round bourbons in America today.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-20-2006 at 16:09.

Connoisseur
    Went to Ed's old stomping grounds yesterday, Lincoln Nebraska. I found a WT 12yo split label, WT pewter top, Hancock's reserve (I had not seen this in the state before), and about 2 Eagle Rare SB that a store had purchased a barrel and had marked 18.99 per bottle (very good buy for around here). I also picked up a Henry Mckenna SB BIB and unfortunately discovered that if I had waited I could have saved about $5.

Locally the same day I found 4 WT RR 101's. That's gonna do it for me for a while.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I just now returned from the Clark Street Binny's and here's what I bought:

Evan Williams 1783
    Weller 12
    A.H. Hirsch 16 (gold foil)
    Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof, they were out of the BIB)

also:
    Herradura Reposado Tequila
    Bombay Sapphire Gin

Also a couple bottles of wine and some mixers. What I find interesting is that I paid more for the Herradura ($45) and Hirsch ($60) than I did for everything else combined.

I must also confess that I stood there for a long time looking at the seven bottles of Hirsch remaining on the shelf and wishing I could spare the $420.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-20-2006 at 19:46.

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Of the best bourbons I've had in the last two years I rate Rare Breed, Stagg Fall '05 and the current McKenna Single Barrel at the top. Also, Elmer T. Lee.

These are the best all-round bourbons in America today.
    Gary
    The first two are most certainly in my top five, Gary. I haven't had the McKenna SB but will seek it out based on comments here.

My Rittenhouse BIB special order came in at the local today, so I picked up half a case @ $14 per, convinced another patron to try a bottle over his regular Old Overcoat, and lobbied to have OLCC add this to their regular order list. Also bought a bottle each of Beam Rye, EW Black and Very Rare Old (8 year 86) Heaven Hill.

Jeff